• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Outsiders Rumor.. (don't worry, they're still alive)

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
whacked- I'm not even a huge BoO fan as their lookbooks aren't the most exciting (though specific pieces like some shirts and suiting are great), i just find it stupid that the same people are just itching to try and bash BoO for the reasons i listed every chance they get.

Where is that avatar from?

milosz- Seriously, just do a search and read a ton of posts from people who have fashion related experience who have explained this in about a bunch of other similar threads. Here's a tip, if you don't like higher prices, stick to rugby/jcrew/h&m and quit complaining.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BoO is okay. The pricepoint for shirts is too high. They're the Armani Collezioni of casual wear.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have no idea how much $$$ BoO spends to produce their stuff, but I have read that smaller fashion upstarts produce at a much more limited scale than their mainstream counterparts and, as a result, take on a much higher production cost. So a good portion of the price just relates to the number of units produced and the means (mechanical vs hand, type of labor, etc) used to produce them.

So for the people wondering exactly why Mall Brand X can produce at a lower cost, there's the answer.

chronoaug

Reaction score
Wait, so you're saying a company like gap, jcrew, ralph lauren who produce a ton of clothes generally made in cheap overseas workshops to send to their own stores all over the country can do this at a cheaper cost than a relatively small design team who use quality materials and make them in small quantities in the USA and also have to deal with many different small retailers? You, bamchairdance, are blowing my mind. Also, the buttons don't really have to do with shotty construction/quality. This has also been explained in past BoO related threads. People just need to come to terms they'll always hate expensive clothing (except a lot of people don't have a problem with $300 japanese jeans for some reason)

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol I like how all band of outsiders threads deviate to the same thing.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a tip, if you don't like higher prices, stick to rugby/jcrew/h&m and quit complaining.
I have no idea what your problem with anyone daring to question the production costs/margin/value for this particular brand... but OK. Like I said, I'm indifferent to BoO - maybe their shirts are worth the cost, maybe not. But I think questions about how well-made they are and how they compare to similar shirts in construction/cost are valid.

I'm perfectly happy to pay more for something I think is worth more.

It annoys the hell out of me that to get a laptop running OS X I'm paying a $500-1000 premium vs. a comparable Windows machine... but I do it anyway. OS X is that valuable to me. The fanboy justifications about build quality are worthless - let's be honest, Mac users make (for the most part) an irrational choice to indulge their preferences for a certain markup. And on Mac fora, there's often the same brand loyal attitude you're displaying here.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at least a mac looks better for the cost differential.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Where is that avatar from?

Saw it somewhere on the webz one night I was really bored. Liked it enough to take the animated gif apart, change the colors, and rebuild the thing in order to fit SF's tiny size limit.

That sounds like a lot of work in hindsight, but one chrono's inquiry validates the effort.
colgate.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
j crew slim fit oxfords suck dick. the fabric is cheap and flimsy, the collars are small and pathetic, and you have to size down so much to get a fit in the body that the shoulders/neck don't even approach fitting. boo l/xl are perfect for guys with broad shoulders but slim waists... if only they brought back the tall
frown.gif

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ftfy

Originally Posted by Teger
j crew slim fit oxfords suck dick. the fabric is cheap and flimsy, the collars are small and pathetic, and you have to size down so much to get a fit in the body that the shoulders/neck don't even approach fitting.

boo l/xl are perfect for guys with broad shoulders but little taste
frown.gif

chronoaug

Reaction score
kunk- Speaking of filippak, have you seen any stores with their button ups for cheap? I want that light blue one gilt was selling (not in my size of course) and i know you're into filippak. Filippak retail prices are pretty high as well and their button ups are definitely not as nice material and fit wise. I still like the filippak shirt that i have right now, but then again, i got it for $50 used.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
boo l/xl are perfect for guys with broad shoulders but slim waists... if only they brought back the tall
frown.gif

amen, brother...

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I see this a lot. what does it stand for?

"Fixed that for you": I have modified your original post to make it truer and more likely funnier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics