Band of Outsiders Rumor.. (don't worry, they're still alive)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by SoCal2NYC, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

No amount of tapering/tailoring on a J. Crew shirt will match the fit and finish of BoO.

It would be difficult to make a list of the brands biting off BOO's style and success. I'd probably start with N. Hoolywood as one of the most obvious offenders.

I'm sure if J. Crew tried really hard they could make shirts that have the buttons fall off after a washing too.

2. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

You can buy skinny/cropped button-downs anywhere in asia (or online asian shopping malls) for under $30.

The problem with this is you can't be sure of the fit of the clothes / quality of the construction. Also, I may be wrong but I imagine it would be very difficult to return any ill-fitting / shitty clothes.. Plus BoO has some brand cache, even though many of you pretend this doesn't matter, I'm sure it impacts your decison making at least a little bit.

3. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

You can buy skinny/cropped button-downs anywhere in asia (or online asian shopping malls) for under $30.

This takes me back to the thread about which brands had "staying power" and which didn't. Caaaaalled it! Guess the Japanese market doesn't buy as much as was thought?

Pretty much. FWIW if you can get MTM Ascot Chang shirts at $50-60 a pop, depending on the fabrics, on sale there is no incentive to get BoO.

And shirts in Japan are far slimmer than BoO ime.

4. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    you dont ewven really know what the status is but I will find out today!

5. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    FOK PLEASE DELETE THIS STUPID ASS THREAD.

BoO is NOT going under in anyway. I just spoke with BoO and the are healthier than ever.
    Boy ( BoO womens line) is being liscened to an Italian company that is all.

Stop spreading stupid rumors

6. cchen

cchen Senior member

you would feel much differently about BoO if you were my size, i can assure you. they are the only shirts that fit me or really even come close besides dior (though its sometimes a bitch finding a 37p). same for the blazers. and for the record, i am a xs in BoO shirts and a 0/34 in the blazers.

Not knocking BoO, but ou can get a 3-5 MTM shirts from Jantzen for the price of one BoO on sale. I'm sure after 3 tries with Jantzen you'd be able to get a shirt that you liked at least as much as BoO

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

FOK PLEASE DELETE THIS STUPID ASS THREAD.

BoO is NOT going under in anyway. I just spoke with BoO and the are healthier than ever.
    Boy ( BoO womens line) is being liscened to an Italian company that is all.

Stop spreading stupid rumors

That's good to hear, though I think this thread did spark an interesting discussion.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ but a lot of guys just like being able to buy a shirt that already exists, appeals to him, and he knows it will fit

I've ordered many shirts from Jantzen but I always feel it's hit/miss on whether I get it, or whether it comes out right and nowadays just prefer to see a shirt I like then buy it rather than have it made

9. Brigden

Brigden Senior member

Not knocking BoO, but ou can get a 3-5 MTM shirts from Jantzen for the price of one BoO on sale. I'm sure after 3 tries with Jantzen you'd be able to get a shirt that you liked at least as much as BoO

Yeah, but he buys BoO for the label.

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Ok, everybody. Get back to your jcrew ss09 thread and ignore threads about brands you obviously just dislike. Every time it's the same 3-4 people who just hate on shit because they don't own it, don't understand the cost it takes to produce items for companies like BoO (different than gap/jcrew costs), or are against paying more than jcrew/h&m prices for anything but raw denim.

11. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

^^ but a lot of guys just like being able to buy a shirt that already exists, appeals to him, and he knows it will fit

I've ordered many shirts from Jantzen but I always feel it's hit/miss on whether I get it, or whether it comes out right and nowadays just prefer to see a shirt I like then buy it rather than have it made

Exactly. I've gone into Jantzen with the idea that they're giving me the measurements and buttons I want with the rationale that I'd be getting four BoO or Agnes B shirts for the price one. That's really fucking naive. I'm sure people will chime in with their own anecdotes but MTM shit like that is going to inherently be hit or miss. Why? I've never been completely satisfied with the fabric (if even remotely at all), there's always guesswork as to how much your shirt will shrink in the wash because of all the different fabrics, and even with the exact measurements you give you're still relying on them to interpret the shirt for you. Bottom line is I feel like I've wasted money on an inferior product when I could have just bought something OTR and wouldn't have to second-guess a damn thing. Quality>Quantity.

12. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

I own both BoO and J Crew oxfords. I'd never buy BoO at full retail, but on sale between $99-$149, BoO is far far far superior to J Crew IMO. Its not that I dislike JCrew, but I always have to size down to achieve the fit I want in the body, and then the sleeves are too short.

For shirts like oxfords and the like, I'd much rather buy OTR and have it then wait for MTM.

13. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I'm already at two Jantzen shirts I never wear. While the body fits similar to my BoO shirts, they can't get the sleeves as tight. Plus that last shirt took 2.5 months to arrive.

14. whacked

whacked Senior member

^ Even the best MTM services take more than a couple of tries to get it right. Poster yfyf in MC, for example, didn't get exactly what he wanted (albeit he's very picky) with WW Chan after than 5th suit or so. Function the fact that you're ordering online, the number will most likely be higher.

On a related note, gshen's shirt fits are about as good as I have seen on anyone. All of his are cheap MTMs; hell, I'm sure BoO won't fit him nearly as well.

Ok, everybody. Get back to your jcrew ss09 thread and ignore threads about brands you obviously just dislike. Every time it's the same 3-4 people who just hate on shit because they don't own it, don't understand the cost it takes to produce items for companies like BoO (different than gap/jcrew costs), or are against paying more than jcrew/h&m prices for anything but raw denim.

If you don't want to hear negative things about brands you love, why bother reading forums at all?

15. milosz

milosz Senior member

I don't like or dislike BoO myself, I'm indifferent. If I ran across a shirt I liked, in my size, I'd like to give them a try. Maybe there will be a short-sleeve something or other for spring that will work.

That said, I don't see how questions about their price and craftsmanship are unwarranted. There are an awful lot of stories relating to buttons falling off - what justification is there for that? I've had dirt-cheap shirts that I washed a hundred times without losing a button.

Likewise, what makes BoO shirts special in terms of cost to produce that justifies their price? You allude to this but don't say anything definite. MOP buttons - okay, but my $59 Rugby RL flannel has MOP buttons.