banana republic vs jcrew

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Dec 15, 2008.

1. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

I would say that I do like BR for linen pants or shirts on the cheap, other than that hands down J. Crew.

2. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

BR is trash, I'm always amazed how the GAP and BR outlets are always filled with shoppers while the J Crew outlet has half the traffic. I do go to BR every once in awhile and never end up buying anything. J Crew easily wins this one...

3. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

J Crew by far. But really Banana Republic vs. Zara is a better comparison stylewise. And Zara wins.

4. milosz

milosz Senior member

I find more stuff at the Gap that I like than BR - given the materials/quality, the plain factor works in the Gap's favor for me.

I did get a herringbone 'military' jacket at BR on the cheap, and usually they seem to have nice outerwear stuff. But as a rule I'd rather go down to the Gap or up to J Crew.

5. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

I find more stuff at the Gap that I like than BR - given the materials/quality, the plain factor works in the Gap's favor for me.
    Couldn't agree more. Whereas at BR all they seem to have is horrendous clubbby-striped stuff, Gap has a lot more plain basics that to me is 90% of the "quality" (whatever that may be) of BR at 50% of the price -- and is more tasteful to boot.

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

This might be the lamest debate in the history of online fashion forums

7. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

BR is trash, I'm always amazed how the GAP and BR outlets are always filled with shoppers while the J Crew outlet has half the traffic. I do go to BR every once in awhile and never end up buying anything. J Crew easily wins this one...
    yeah same. When BR had that 50% family and friends sale a while back. I really had a hard time picking out something. So I endup getting some vnecks, and socks.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

This might be the lamest debate in the history of online fashion forums

[​IMG]

9. Robert

Robert Senior member

The great thing about clothes (style, fashion, whatever) is there's no one right answer. What's right for me may not be right for you. Banana Republic is sometimes the answer for me, though often it pales in comparison to J. Crew and other things. Like I've said, I've procured some great pieces from BR. My complaint is, I can't always find great pieces there consistently--whereas I can with J. Crew.

So ultimately this thread isn't really much of a debate, lame or otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious everybody prefers J. Crew over BR. AT the same time, bashing either place seems pretty lame to me, too.

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

I think it's about even for me.

Costs are similar, fit/sizing is better for me at BR, more interesting design at J Crew (90% of BR is indeed bland), materials are comparable.

11. chronoaug

The great thing about clothes (style, fashion, whatever) is there's no one right answer. What's right for me may not be right for you. Banana Republic is sometimes the answer for me, though often it pales in comparison to J. Crew and other things. Like I've said, I've procured some great pieces from BR. My complaint is, I can't always find great pieces there consistently--whereas I can with J. Crew. So ultimately this thread isn't really much of a debate, lame or otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious everybody prefers J. Crew over BR. AT the same time, bashing either place seems pretty lame to me, too.
    nevermind. yea, jcrew is better

12. Robert

Robert Senior member

yeah, whatever, never mind.

13. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

The great thing about clothes (style, fashion, whatever) is there's no one right answer. What's right for me may not be right for you. Banana Republic is sometimes the answer for me, though often it pales in comparison to J. Crew and other things. Like I've said, I've procured some great pieces from BR. My complaint is, I can't always find great pieces there consistently--whereas I can with J. Crew.

So ultimately this thread isn't really much of a debate, lame or otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious everybody prefers J. Crew over BR. AT the same time, bashing either place seems pretty lame to me, too.

Chrono already knows that fashion is not objective.

14. Robert

Robert Senior member

He's a little brighter than I think most people give him credit for.

15. chronoaug