banana republic vs jcrew

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

JCrew is solid, and I have been enjoying the sales lately.

2. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

There was a point in my life when about half my closet was courtesy of BR or J. Crew. Nothing ever fell apart on me from either brand (with one exception noted below). I still have an overcoat, a spring jacket, and a blazer from BR that have held up very nicely over the years. Sweaters from both brands are pill-happy and unimpressive for the most part (although I have a silk-cashmere one from BR that has held up well). Most BR shirts are fugly, so I don't own any aside from one or two, but they haven't exploded or anything. BR's jeans are the only thing I can think of that are completely horrendous in terms of quality. I had a pair back in high school that started to fray in the crotch, along the back pockets...really everywhere...after about one week of light wear.
    +1. I would like to say that if you happen to live near a BR department store, there isn't really any better way to stock up on basics. Nonetheless, J Crew clearly wins in terms of consistency and styling, maybe quality of construction by a slim margin at most. Oh, and whoever said BR is more expensive than J Crew doesn't know what they're talking about. It's generally the same playing field, if anything J Crew is slightly more expensive, which makes sense.

3. WayneGibbous

WayneGibbous Senior member

I don't think there's any question.

4. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

My BR Sweaters fit me much nicer than the Jcrew ones,except my lavander cashmere...

5. TheDroog

TheDroog Senior member

There's a whole discussion on this exact subject in the Uniqlo > Rugby > J.Crew > H&M > BR > A&F > Gap ... thread.

I disagree with the "BR quality is crap" argument. I own multiple pieces from both companies and nothing has ever "fallen apart" from either place. And yes, J.Crew's new website is a horror to navigate.

But J.Crew has a clearly defined design aesthetic (East Coast, modern preppy) whereas BR, on the whole, produces nondescript cubicle wear. And that's the difference between the two.

6. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

But J.Crew has a clearly defined design aesthetic (East Coast, modern preppy) whereas BR, on the whole, produces nondescript cubicle wear. And that's the difference between the two.

This is the bottom line. Although as far as quality, I think I think BR stuff is made fairly well - in fact, the quality of their stuff is much better than some higher priced stuff (eg, APC, which seems universally poorly made).

7. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

You have to ask?... JCrew.

I especially like the fit of their dress shirts and button downs. BR is just too expensive and their fit is too boxy/baggy.

8. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

BR is boring as shit. Seriously, can they be any more plain?

9. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

BR is boring as shit. Seriously, can they be any more plain?

Yes. See: www.gap.com

10. Robert

Robert Senior member

Sometimes plain works.

11. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

Yes. See: www.gap.com

I don't know, I find they're about equal. 95% of BR for men is boring/generic business wear. At least at the Gap they'll sometimes have some decent casual shirts (picked up a nice tab collar chambray there last year) or sweaters. BR has some nice pieces sometimes too but are imo overpriced for the design/quality compared to the Gap. Jcrew may not have much better quality but usually their designs are leagues above the stuff at BR.

12. KimboIsLegit

KimboIsLegit Member

I like Target stuff more than either. The Target sweaters I have fit much better than my JCrew sweaters.

13. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

14. beansprouts1

beansprouts1 Senior member

i agree with the consensus that on a whole, jcrew is better quality and aesthetics. i was in store the other day and found a bunch of english scarves for 15 bucks a piece. on the otherhand, i actually like the monogrammed banana stuff. when on sale, they make for very nice, affordable, and well fitted business wear.

15. Kohan

Kohan Senior member

Sometimes plain works.

This is actually a point in BR's favor, IMO. Most people aren't all that concerned about saying a lot with their clothing, so a popular brand that makes plain, inoffensive cubicle-wear seems much better than a cheap-and-gaudy alternative.

And I, too, have some BR pieces that I love. The one time I bought jeans there was a mistake--hence the "one time"--but their summer polos are comfortable, the extra-thick weave sweaters are good, and they have some really classy outerwear that just makes me happy.