1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

banana republic vs jcrew

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by randomkoreandude, Dec 15, 2008.

1. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

But J.Crew has a clearly defined design aesthetic (East Coast, modern preppy) whereas BR, on the whole, produces nondescript cubicle wear. And that's the difference between the two.

This is the bottom line. Although as far as quality, I think I think BR stuff is made fairly well - in fact, the quality of their stuff is much better than some higher priced stuff (eg, APC, which seems universally poorly made).

2. AntiHero84

AntiHero84 Senior member

You have to ask?... JCrew.

I especially like the fit of their dress shirts and button downs. BR is just too expensive and their fit is too boxy/baggy.

3. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member

BR is boring as shit. Seriously, can they be any more plain?

4. mulansauce

mulansauce Senior member

BR is boring as shit. Seriously, can they be any more plain?

Yes. See: www.gap.com

5. Robert

Robert Senior member

Sometimes plain works.

6. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

Yes. See: www.gap.com

I don't know, I find they're about equal. 95% of BR for men is boring/generic business wear. At least at the Gap they'll sometimes have some decent casual shirts (picked up a nice tab collar chambray there last year) or sweaters. BR has some nice pieces sometimes too but are imo overpriced for the design/quality compared to the Gap. Jcrew may not have much better quality but usually their designs are leagues above the stuff at BR.

7. KimboIsLegit

KimboIsLegit Member

I like Target stuff more than either. The Target sweaters I have fit much better than my JCrew sweaters.

8. TheFusilliJerry

TheFusilliJerry Senior member

9. beansprouts1

beansprouts1 Senior member

i agree with the consensus that on a whole, jcrew is better quality and aesthetics. i was in store the other day and found a bunch of english scarves for 15 bucks a piece. on the otherhand, i actually like the monogrammed banana stuff. when on sale, they make for very nice, affordable, and well fitted business wear.

10. Kohan

Kohan Senior member

Sometimes plain works.

This is actually a point in BR's favor, IMO. Most people aren't all that concerned about saying a lot with their clothing, so a popular brand that makes plain, inoffensive cubicle-wear seems much better than a cheap-and-gaudy alternative.

And I, too, have some BR pieces that I love. The one time I bought jeans there was a mistake--hence the "one time"--but their summer polos are comfortable, the extra-thick weave sweaters are good, and they have some really classy outerwear that just makes me happy.

11. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior member

I would say that I do like BR for linen pants or shirts on the cheap, other than that hands down J. Crew.

12. Vernon-Dozier

Vernon-Dozier Senior member

BR is trash, I'm always amazed how the GAP and BR outlets are always filled with shoppers while the J Crew outlet has half the traffic. I do go to BR every once in awhile and never end up buying anything. J Crew easily wins this one...

13. lance konami

lance konami Senior member

J Crew by far. But really Banana Republic vs. Zara is a better comparison stylewise. And Zara wins.

14. milosz

milosz Senior member

I find more stuff at the Gap that I like than BR - given the materials/quality, the plain factor works in the Gap's favor for me.

I did get a herringbone 'military' jacket at BR on the cheap, and usually they seem to have nice outerwear stuff. But as a rule I'd rather go down to the Gap or up to J Crew.

15. needshoehelp

needshoehelp Senior member

I find more stuff at the Gap that I like than BR - given the materials/quality, the plain factor works in the Gap's favor for me.
    Couldn't agree more. Whereas at BR all they seem to have is horrendous clubbby-striped stuff, Gap has a lot more plain basics that to me is 90% of the "quality" (whatever that may be) of BR at 50% of the price -- and is more tasteful to boot.

16. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

This might be the lamest debate in the history of online fashion forums

17. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

BR is trash, I'm always amazed how the GAP and BR outlets are always filled with shoppers while the J Crew outlet has half the traffic. I do go to BR every once in awhile and never end up buying anything. J Crew easily wins this one...
    yeah same. When BR had that 50% family and friends sale a while back. I really had a hard time picking out something. So I endup getting some vnecks, and socks.

18. jet

jet Senior member

This might be the lamest debate in the history of online fashion forums

[​IMG]

19. Robert

Robert Senior member

The great thing about clothes (style, fashion, whatever) is there's no one right answer. What's right for me may not be right for you. Banana Republic is sometimes the answer for me, though often it pales in comparison to J. Crew and other things. Like I've said, I've procured some great pieces from BR. My complaint is, I can't always find great pieces there consistently--whereas I can with J. Crew.

So ultimately this thread isn't really much of a debate, lame or otherwise. I think it's pretty obvious everybody prefers J. Crew over BR. AT the same time, bashing either place seems pretty lame to me, too.

20. zissou

zissou Senior member

I think it's about even for me.

Costs are similar, fit/sizing is better for me at BR, more interesting design at J Crew (90% of BR is indeed bland), materials are comparable.