• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Banana Republic Trench Coat?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am clueless on what to get for a Fall/Winter jacket/coat. I live in Toronto, Canada and would ideally like one jacket/coat for both Fall/Winter.

I ran into this Banana Republic trench coat...it looks great in store (i didnt try it on) but just want to know your opinions? Yay or nay? Any other suggestions for a good jacket/coat? Brand? Store?

Thanks,

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably wouldn't be anywhere near warm enough for Toronto during the winter

nohio

Reaction score
I got the university coat last year. Very warm and durable. Got me through an Ohio winter just fine.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: Honestly for Toronto that trench coat wont work even for late fall unless you really add some layers, and windchill during winter is crazy, you'll need a melton wool coat or some other type of coat thats windproof otherwise it takes many layers to block the wind out and if the wind reaches your skin it doesnt matter what your wearing because you'll still feel the cold.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by canstyleace
OP: Honestly for Toronto that trench coat wont work even for late fall unless you really add some layers, and windchill during winter is crazy, you'll need a melton wool coat or some other type of coat thats windproof otherwise it takes many layers to block the wind out and if the wind reaches your skin it doesnt matter what your wearing because you'll still feel the cold.

WTF? Toronto isn't that cold, especially when it comes to the windchill.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was that on sale?

I wanted that coat when I saw it in BR about a year or two ago, but it disappeared before I decided to buy it.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
WTF? Toronto isn't that cold, especially when it comes to the windchill.

It's gets pretty freaking cold for me, then again I'm originally from a southern climate and I live/work in windchill central (i.e. Yorkville/Bay st Financial district)

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Canada Goose. Being warm beats being fashionable during our cold winters. Or a nice wool peacoat from anywhere...can't go wrong with that.

Newstyle

Reaction score
I bought the BR trench and although it isn't warm it is great for layering and I really enjoy it. It kept me dry during the wet season. I like it because of its shorter length otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I'm happy with my purchase. You will need another coat because this really won't keep you warm even the slightest.

Suicmez

Reaction score
Trench coats are not winter coats... they're meant to be a stylish way to repel wind and rain, although to get one that is actually waterproof, you'll have to shell out a lot more.
Get a wool topcoat/peacoat, or a tech jacket by Arc'Teryx, Phenix, Patagonia, Sierra Designs, etc..

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am selling a Brand New Banana Republic trench coat right now. It is a size small, tan, and pretty light weight, so it's more for rain than cold. Let me know if your interested.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.