• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic Sweaters: Hotornot?

allcapitan

Reaction score

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
The first two aren't bad, I haven't had any interaction with BR, beyond walking past their storefronts, in 10 years or so (when I decided, at 16, that I hated their fit). I am sure they have updated their fits in that time but there is still a stigma attached, probably personal taste. For reasonably priced sweaters I turn to VCH, sale season, reputable eBayers and other discount sites. If those sweaters aren't pinned for the photo then they look pretty well cut.

edit: don't forget to check the sales section of SF for the nicest clothes at the lowest prices. I have never sold there but have purchased several items and am always amazed at the altruism and esprit de corp exhibited by fellow members.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 2nd one. I respectfully disagree with the previous poster; I practically live in BR Merino Wool and Silk Cashmere sweaters. Great quality, and the fit is almost perfect for me. Great price when on sale.

I know what you're saying about the fit though. Their dress shirts don't fit well but the other stuff does . It's all about body type.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I like the 2nd one. I respectfully disagree with the previous poster; I practically live in BR Merino Wool and Silk Cashmere sweaters. Great quality, and the fit is almost perfect for me. Great price when on sale.

I know what you're saying about the fit though. Their dress shirts don't fit well but the other stuff does . It's all about body type.

Yeah, I'm no expert. They have likely rejuvenated their lines several times since I last frequented the store. I do like the styling of the first two, but I thought the OP might be able to find a similar style of better quality for a comparable price from a source that benefits this forum. Only a suggestion. If BR is more convenient and the sweaters are not pinned for the photo, go for it. Again, not a subject I am well-versed in. Didn't mean to piss on anyones preferences, only voicing mine.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I like the 2nd one best, but even BR small is a bit big for me at 5'10", 38 chest

The first one looks ok too, tho it's not my style

Once they start making XS knitwear, I'll be more into their offerings

allcapitan

Reaction score
It would help if you clarified what your build is too. For example, I wear a 38S in a blazer or so. I find Banana slim or fitted shirts to be a bit (just a bit) too baggy through the middle and the sleeves are a bit too long, but much better fitting than a standard traditional fit balloon shirt. Express shirts size small fit me well, except the sleeves are a bit long.

The responses so far suggest none of you are in love with any of the sweaters posted so far. Oh well, those prices are enticing me but I only want to buy something I love, not like.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
It would help if you clarified what your build is too. For example, I wear a 38S in a blazer or so. I find Banana slim or fitted shirts to be a bit (just a bit) too baggy through the middle and the sleeves are a bit too long, but much better fitting than a standard traditional fit balloon shirt. Express shirts size small fit me well, except the sleeves are a bit long.

The responses so far suggest none of you are in love with any of the sweaters posted so far. Oh well, those prices are enticing me but I only want to buy something I love, not like.

I am about the same size as you. I won't say that those choices are bad as I know little about them. I will say with some confidence however, that you can find items of equal or better quality for similar or lesser prices through this forum. If you have the time to check this forum regularly, all of your sartorial needs will be satiated. If not, I think Jello said, give me convenience or give me a reasonably priced cashmere cardigan. Or death, maybe it was give me convenience or give me death. At any rate, you're safe from the suede and denim secret police. I hope you don't have a neice.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I like the 2nd one best, but even BR small is a bit big for me at 5'10", 38 chest

The first one looks ok too, tho it's not my style

Once they start making XS knitwear, I'll be more into their offerings

man get smart , how do you stay so thin after marriage?
i am 5 10 too but i am freaking 44 pushing 46R XL /XXL hugo boss.

i try to eat less and do some exercise but i still look like a pig.

i like banana republic, some of their stuff is really sensible and when you get it on discount (at the brea mall , good discounts at that banana) it is a good bargain

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cardigan #1 isn't bad for $20. I was going to buy the other color they had (not the tan one), in Medium, but it looks like them ***** sold out within the past hour or two.

allcapitan

Reaction score
Yeah, I was afraid that would happen. Post a bargain on this site, and watch everyone hoard the supply. I don't think I'll be be doing that again, at least not until I order my own.

I was on the fence with all of those items anyway. For those of you who got in on the bargains, enjoy, as a one time favor, lol

All

allcapitan

Reaction score
OK, I'll explain what I liked and didn't like about the items in question.

1. pullover. Unique collar and nice collar. Does NOT look fitted. Maybe it's not supposed to, but I err on the side of items that accentuate a V shaped torso.

2. tan cardigan. Depending on what style you are going for, a nice basic. This is especially nice for the demographic BR is targeting: 35+ upper middle class, WASP. Downside: again, does not look fitted, and the single pocket design bothers me.

3. grey cardigan. I love those elbow patches! In brown no less. It does not look appropriate for anyone under 35 also. Again, it does not look fitted. It could look fashionable on anyone above the age of 35.

I think I just answered my own question. And I don't think I'll be posting any more items until I've bought mine. Grrrr. Buy and return if necessary. Lesson learned.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I'm not sure how long you have been reading these forums but I find it doubtful that your post incited a BR rush from the members here. Though the current BR offerings may be of the highest quality, they are not items discussed often on this forum. Your secret is safe with us. Sub-rosa and all that...

If you are unable to find an item you like from a forum affiliate, BB, CT, TM Lewin and RL are all having sales offering similar items at this moment. They may be 20-60 dollars more but they may also be of better quality, I honestly don't know.

Also, if BR is sold out online you might wait for outlet store inventory to arrive or give people some time to make Christmas returns. Good luck finding what you want.

allcapitan

Reaction score
Cool, show me some links to similar items from different makers and I'll check into it. I didn't find anything in the sales forum with comparable items.

Anyway, not much feedback on what you liked or didn't like about these sweaters. I hooked you up with some fairly nice sweaters at a great price (inadvertently) so tell me what details, overall styling you liked or didn't like about these items. I am here to learn.

Capitan

Originally Posted by hossoso
I'm not sure how long you have been reading these forums but I find it doubtful that your post incited a BR rush from the members here. Though the current BR offerings may be of the highest quality, they are not items discussed often on this forum. Your secret is safe with us. Sub-rosa and all that...

If you are unable to find an item you like from a forum affiliate, BB, CT, TM Lewin and RL are all having sales offering similar items at this moment. They may be 20-60 dollars more but they may also be of better quality, I honestly don't know.

Also, if BR is sold out online you might wait for outlet store inventory to arrive or give people some time to make Christmas returns. Good luck finding what you want.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my build (similar to Get Smart's), J Crew fits a lot better than BN; the sweater armholes are more fitted. My recurring problem with BN is the waist, there is just too much there. FWIW, I'm a 39" chest and a 31" waist.

charlief1975

Reaction score
I like 1 and 3.

I know a lot of people around here knock BR. But for that price is great. For some items I have no problems going to BR during sales. I hate paying full price for anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads