• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic sizing gripe.

pendragon

Reaction score
Back in the day, I used to buy clothes at BR. Decent style, reasonable prices, good sales. It was made easier by the fact that I am 40R and their size M was consistent and fit me off the rack.

But then some time in the last couple of years I noticed that their M didn't fit any more. It was too small. And L was too large.

At first, I thought it was me getting larger. But it ain't. I went in the other day looking for a jacket, and found this: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=813297012

I tried on the M. Too small. I tried on the L. Too big...

And then I looked on their sizing charts and found that their medium is now "38-40" and their L is "41-44." Both of which are just wrong for millions of normal people in that 40-42 range. WTF? Have they never read Goldilocks?

Is there anyone with inside knowledge who can explain why they have made this change?

(On the bright side, it means I can no longer shop there...)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Srsly? S-M-L-XL sizing on suits and jackets is going to leave a lot of folks out in the cold. You just got lucky for awhile. Porridge comes in 3 temperatures, suits come in many sizes.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
I too live in shirt limbo. 16.5 neck by 35 sleeve. "Large" is usually about right as far as torso and neck, but too tight in the shoulders and about an inch short in the sleeves. XL for shirts is always like wearing a tent. The result is that I will never be able to buy another flannel, twill, or other casual/work style shirt with long sleeves. And department store shirts that are 16.5x34/35 are invariably also too tight in the shoulders and sleeves.

JakeLA

Reaction score
Same thing at (shudder) Club Monaco. I'm a 40 R ( 15 1/2 x 33) and nothing there fits me. All the mediums are way too tight in the chest and ridiculously long in the sleeves.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to shop at BR in my younger days and I still like their boxer briefs.

However, I have found siniliar issues with their casual jackets. Their "L" is too tight for me in the shoulders and the sleeves are too short. I usually wear a 44R.

ktrp

Reaction score
I just take it for granted that jackets sized s/m/l/xl are not going to fit.

I'm also confused though. I don't own any BR jackets, but any time I've looked online or in store, they were sized 38/40/42 etc. The Gap is S/M/L, which has kept me out of their jackets.

Also they don't carry men's tall in Canada.
plain.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lettered sizing for mens' suits is entirely wrong - far too course a measure. Go to a decent shop and don't look to buy tat.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than likely they changed manufacturing and in doing so, changed the sizing. Either way the quality has gone down enough I won't touch their shirts even at deep discount. +1 on the boxer briefs though.

pendragon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Lettered sizing for mens' suits is entirely wrong - far too course a measure. Go to a decent shop and don't look to buy tat.

I wasn't after a suit, just a casual windcheater for the docks. As for not buying tat, I'd look pretty silly wearing Borrelli in a boat yard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics