• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic Shoes

mejum

Reaction score
I'd like to buy a pair of loafers from Banana Republic. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, I have several different pairs of nice oxfords for that occasion, I'm looking for something that can be worn to the workplace (business casual) while making a good impression but also something that can be worn on the weekends with a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I have a budget--I'd like to spend somewhere between $100 and $200. I'm not stuck on Banana Republic and am willing to hear other suggestions or feedback on the quality, comfort, and construction of BR shoes.

The loafers I have in mind are:
br226984-01p01v01.jpg

Urban Driving Loafer
br374754-00p01v01.jpg

Kensington Classic Loafer
br273844-00p01v01.jpg

Driving Loafer

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go for the Kensington Classic Loafer. Business casual shoes need to be shineable (according to my old companies dress code), those ones look like they could possibly be shined and with a heel. The Kensington is the only one that fits that criteria.

Business casual where I used to work made me cringe.

My personal favorite is the driving loafer though. If they will let you get away with those, then get them. I think I might even go get em.

I've been wearing these all summer. Go great with shorts with no socks, jeans, or cotton pants and a tie. They were nixed at my old job though.

Rockport Moc

Machine washable too, though I haven't tried yet.

mejum

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I have been lurking on SF for a few weeks--I must have missed that thread.

The reviews coming back on BR are prett negative. If not BR, what should I be looking at? I have looked at Kenneth Cole and Ted Baker but their designs don't look as good as Banana Republic's.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mejum
Thanks for the link. I have been lurking on SF for a few weeks--I must have missed that thread.

The reviews coming back on BR are prett negative. If not BR, what should I be looking at? I have looked at Kenneth Cole and Ted Baker but their designs don't look as good as Banana Republic's.

What's your budget? Also, for something as unstructured as a driving loafer (i.e. something without a hard sole, be it leather or rubber), I don't think Banana Republic is that bad of a choice, provided you like the styling and the shoe fits you comfortably.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have tryed on Urban Loafers yestareday at my local store. They fit narrow.
They are well constructed for casula loafer. One other thing I have noticed, although they made in Romania, they were twin brothers of my Italian Lumiani loafers. And I mean exact twins, down to the stitching and sole.
If they fit you comfortably I say they are good shoes for a younger man. But not at full 118.00 retail price.
I like the fact that they have more masculine look and not tassled, pointy loafers my grandma wears.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I'm sure mentioned in numerous other threads, it's worth reiteration that one should not pay retail price on BR items. In 3 weeks they will be on sale, and a couple of weeks after that, marked down heavily even more. Granted, quantity and sizes may be limited at that point, but because BR is so ubiquitous, a store would be willing to call around for your size and get it shipped to you.

Those loafers you posted are cool, but I would never pay more than $50 for them, and it wouldn't be a choice when trying to beef up a nice shoe rotation. They would be a little something extra if I had $50 to throw around and saw the shoes on sale.

seanchai

Reaction score
In my experience the driving loafer doesn't fit anyone well. It's too unstructured and doesn't hug the foot, so you slip around inside it unless you wear thicker socks. I have narrow feet though, so YMMV.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The middle one's not bad looking. The quality is pretty sad, though, unfortunately.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
having tried on a pair of br loafers given to me a couple of years ago, i must say they are very uncomfortable to wear and the quality is at par with discount shoes like aldo and madden.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
having tried on a pair of br loafers given to me a couple of years ago, i must say they are very uncomfortable to wear and the quality is at par with discount shoes like aldo and madden.

I respectfully disagree. The shoes in question (loafers) are much better quality then Madden or Aldo. We have Madden, Aldo, BR stores on the same street in my town and I saw them back to back on the same day.
BR loafers are much better made, better leather and coloring.
Aldo is rough around the edges with thicker chunkier soles.
Madden is nice looking, but horribly constructed. They are practically falling apart in your hands; the shoe has a structure of a wet napkin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads