• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana republic shirts - vulgar?

gregory

Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds Banana Republic "dress" shirts horribly vulgar? http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse....ry=1005 Look at them. Do they look much different from those shown in decrepit mom-and-pop stores in downtown Manhattan under florecent lamps? I mean: I don't think they're suitable to be worn to any but the crassest of events. And yet BR continues to fool thousands of clueless wearers into believing that they are the epitome of taste and urban sophistication.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Some of them aren't bad, though the paisleys and especially the bias-cut shirts (why, oh why?) are pure Am.Jackass. Some of the shirts are decently made, with MOP buttons, but they're not nearly as slim as they look on the model, obviously.

The regular, non-crazy-candy-striped shirts are decent enough though, especially when at a hefty discount.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Yes, some of them are quite garish. And I work part-time at a BR and am wearing a BR stretch poplin shirt today.

The most garish ones are mostly among the $78 and $98 lines. The $68 mostly have more restrained patterns and colors, but they are horribly baggy. I wish that BR would combine the $68 colors/patterns with the closer fit of the $78/$98 shirts.

In case you were wondering, the $68 ones are supposed to be for work, hence the "traditional" (read: baggy) fit, while the $78 shirts and $98 shirts (a steep $98 because they are the "luxe" line as opposed to the mere "premium" ones) are intended as "going-out" shirts.

gregory

Reaction score
the $78 shirts and $98 shirts (a steep $98 because they are the "luxe" line as opposed to the mere "premium" ones) are intended as "going-out" shirts.
The problem is that I can't conceive of any where to which I could wear those shirts. I remember a time when BR shirts were more subtle and understated.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple BR dress shirts, however, they are mostly marine or french blue, and have generally held up quite well after a few wearings. They were generally $30 or so, marked down from $100 or so, after a couple rounds of discounts. The striped ones, can be very hideous.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who finds Banana Republic "dress" shirts horribly vulgar? http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse....ry=1005 Look at them. Do they look much different from those shown in decrepit mom-and-pop stores in downtown Manhattan under florecent lamps? I mean: I don't think they're suitable to be worn to any but the crassest of events. And yet BR continues to fool thousands of clueless wearers into believing that they are the epitome of taste and urban sophistication.
I don't know that their vulgar. But I am not too impressed with them for the money. I was given a few for Christmas by an aquaintance. I've worn them rarely, so I was actually gathering them up to give to goodwill. I hate the damn two button on cuff thing. I guess this is for sizing. I just think that for US$100, you could do a lot better, like a Gitman or Talbot.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I was given a colorful striped BR shirt this past Christmas. Aside from the aforementioned fit, I actually think that the shirt is rather well made.  The patterns may not be everyone's cup of tea (and looking at some of those featured on the first page of the web link provided, many of them are not mine), but I think they offer a nice alternative to the standard white or blue button down shirt.  In NY, I have seen these worn tieless under a suit or with jeans, tucked or untucked.

benchan

Reaction score
And yet BR continues to fool thousands of clueless wearers into believing that they are the epitome of taste and urban sophistication.

Quite the contrary, I think many BR buyers know what they are getting. For them, BR's pieces are already an upgrade to their current wardrobe.

And about the design of those BR shirts, some offerings from Tommy Hilfiger and H Hilfiger are similar. Not flattering in my opinion, but don't just single out BR.

stache

Reaction score
I don't know that their vulgar. But I am not too impressed with them for the money. I was given a few for Christmas by an aquaintance. I've worn them rarely, so I was actually gathering them up to give to goodwill.

I just think that for US$100, you could do a lot better, like a Gitman or Talbot.[/quote]
I agree. I got one as a freebie last year and was able to exchange it for a very nice linen jacket on markdown. The pricing at that chain doesn't make much sense.

rlevine

Reaction score
During sales times you can get some very good values at the store without much effort. There's always lots of stuff in every size on sale, especially at the end of the season, and they allow you to apply coupons to sale items. So you could potentially get 20% off a price that is already 80% off.

gregory

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything wrong with say, this shirt, which I own, and IMO the quality is pretty decent, although Express' new line of non-Iron shirts can be had for $12-15 right now and is extremely nice (better than this BR shirt) http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse....5281601
Not to worry. Just hang out at StyleForum a bit more often. There's still hope for you.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads