1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Banana republic shirts - vulgar?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Feb 11, 2005.

1. gregory

gregory Senior member

Am I the only one who finds Banana Republic "dress" shirts horribly vulgar? http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse....ry=1005 Look at them. Do they look much different from those shown in decrepit mom-and-pop stores in downtown Manhattan under florecent lamps? I mean: I don't think they're suitable to be worn to any but the crassest of events. And yet BR continues to fool thousands of clueless wearers into believing that they are the epitome of taste and urban sophistication.

2. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Some of them aren't bad, though the paisleys and especially the bias-cut shirts (why, oh why?) are pure Am.Jackass. Some of the shirts are decently made, with MOP buttons, but they're not nearly as slim as they look on the model, obviously.

The regular, non-crazy-candy-striped shirts are decent enough though, especially when at a hefty discount.

3. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

Yes, some of them are quite garish. And I work part-time at a BR and am wearing a BR stretch poplin shirt today.

The most garish ones are mostly among the $78 and $98 lines. The $68 mostly have more restrained patterns and colors, but they are horribly baggy. I wish that BR would combine the $68 colors/patterns with the closer fit of the $78/$98 shirts.

In case you were wondering, the $68 ones are supposed to be for work, hence the "traditional" (read: baggy) fit, while the $78 shirts and $98 shirts (a steep $98 because they are the "luxe" line as opposed to the mere "premium" ones) are intended as "going-out" shirts.

4. gregory

gregory Senior member

The problem is that I can't conceive of any where to which I could wear those shirts. I remember a time when BR shirts were more subtle and understated.

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I have a couple BR dress shirts, however, they are mostly marine or french blue, and have generally held up quite well after a few wearings. They were generally $30 or so, marked down from $100 or so, after a couple rounds of discounts. The striped ones, can be very hideous.

6. Horace

Horace Senior member

I don't know that their vulgar. But I am not too impressed with them for the money. I was given a few for Christmas by an aquaintance. I've worn them rarely, so I was actually gathering them up to give to goodwill. I hate the damn two button on cuff thing. I guess this is for sizing. I just think that for US$100, you could do a lot better, like a Gitman or Talbot.

7. GreyFlannelMan

GreyFlannelMan Senior member

I was given a colorful striped BR shirt this past Christmas. Aside from the aforementioned fit, I actually think that the shirt is rather well made.  The patterns may not be everyone's cup of tea (and looking at some of those featured on the first page of the web link provided, many of them are not mine), but I think they offer a nice alternative to the standard white or blue button down shirt.  In NY, I have seen these worn tieless under a suit or with jeans, tucked or untucked.

8. benchan

benchan Senior member

Quite the contrary, I think many BR buyers know what they are getting. For them, BR's pieces are already an upgrade to their current wardrobe.

And about the design of those BR shirts, some offerings from Tommy Hilfiger and H Hilfiger are similar. Not flattering in my opinion, but don't just single out BR.

9. stache

stache Senior member

I don't know that their vulgar. But I am not too impressed with them for the money. I was given a few for Christmas by an aquaintance. I've worn them rarely, so I was actually gathering them up to give to goodwill.

I just think that for US$100, you could do a lot better, like a Gitman or Talbot.[/quote]
    I agree. I got one as a freebie last year and was able to exchange it for a very nice linen jacket on markdown. The pricing at that chain doesn't make much sense.

10. rlevine

rlevine Well-Known Member

During sales times you can get some very good values at the store without much effort. There's always lots of stuff in every size on sale, especially at the end of the season, and they allow you to apply coupons to sale items. So you could potentially get 20% off a price that is already 80% off.

11. dusty

dusty Senior member

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I don't think there's anything wrong with say, this shirt, which I own, and IMO the quality is pretty decent, although Express' new line of non-Iron shirts can be had for $12-15 right now and is extremely nice (better than this BR shirt) http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse....5281601

13. gregory

gregory Senior member

Not to worry. Just hang out at StyleForum a bit more often. There's still hope for you. [​IMG]

14. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

15. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

16. gregory

gregory Senior member

drizzt3117 and Andrew V., your purchases are certainly among the more tasteful ones offered by Banana Republic. What makes me mad about Banana  Republic is that their patterned shirts -- including the more tasteful ones -- always seem not quite right to me. It's a very subtle thing. The patterns aren't exactly British, aren't exactly Italian but seem like some sort of poor imitation of each. When choosing patterned shirts, I think one should be very very discriminating. The designer must realize that the choice of colors, the thickness of the lines, the position of lines relative to each other, etc -- every small detail -- matters in making a pattern tasteful or odd. I offer for your admiration the patterns by Luigi Borrelli: [​IMG]

17. Horace

Horace Senior member

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Right now I own about 30 "premium" dress shirts, from vendors like T&A, H&K, Coles, etc... and about 20-30 "cheap" dress shirts from BR and Express (that I typically paid a max of $20 for) While I'd like all of my shirts to be Kabbaz, that would throw off my clothing budget a bit and I like to have a pretty good arsenal of shirts to do dry cleaning on a less frequent basis. Personally, I think the non-iron Express and "classic cut" BR shirts work fairly well in ensembles with my suitings, which are typically Brioni, Oxxford, Belvest, and the like.

19. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I don't see what the big deal is at all, let alone whatever assertion is being made in calling them "vulgar." Sure, they're ripping off established and superior makers for the sake of marketing to the masses, but that is not inherently a bad thing. A lot of the patterns are tacky and overdone, and I would not wear them, but I think Banana Republic has some interesting options that would be great for someone looking to depart from the standard fare without having the money or knowledge to go up a few notches. I don't see myself shopping there unless I can pick up something on extreme discount for rough wear, and I wouldn't consider someone wearing their latest offerings to be a paragon of style, but I don't see anything wrong with BR.

For what it's worth, I don't like any of those Borrelli patterns shown, and, on the basis of appearance alone, would much prefer some of the BR fabrics over them.

20. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

I'm sure Borrelli's sweating bullets over the latest offering from Nanners. Chill out.