Banana Republic Pushing Three-Piece Suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrDaniels, Aug 20, 2008.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Several NBA players has adopted the 3-piece suit into their wardrobe already.
    Just a quick example, Deron Williams at the 2008 All-Star game.
    [​IMG]

2. suited

suited Senior member

I love the look of a 3-piece, but IMO you have to have a certain look to pull it off if you're a younger guy.

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

H & M is also selling 3-piece. Although each piece is sold separately and in different areas of the store.

4. Francis91

Francis91 Senior member

H & M is also selling 3-piece. Although each piece is sold separately and in different areas of the store.

\t[​IMG] I hate that fucking store.

5. Charlie

Charlie Senior member

As further evidence of the trend, Charles Thyrtitt now sells vests as part of their suits and separates, and last month's Men's Vogue featured a spread of Ben Stiller wearing five or six three-piece suits.

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Good. Hopefully this will catch on because it is rare to see a three piece suit. People dont like the extra fabric but maybe the search for custom "looks" or individual elements will help this style seem a bit more mainstream.

7. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

I saw this and never got around to mentioning it here. One thing I do like is that they have a few lapelled vests, and one of them is even double breasted. That it is the ugliest double breasted vest I've ever seen hardly matters, given the availability of the item in the BR-level market.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Motol12

Motol12 Senior member

If anybody buys these, could we get some pics of fit, tailoring, etc. I love 3-piece suits and will likely look into this as a more basic option.

Some pictures of this actually in use on an SF member would certainly help me out.

9. TIEALIGN

TIEALIGN Senior member

BR offered quite a few different 3pcs suits back in the late 90s (98 & 99 I think). Then they seemed to disappear in 2000 again.

10. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I tried on the suit (3 piece glen plaid). Not too bad of a fit to be honest, but the price is quite high for a fused garment. The tag indicates they are made in Turkey. The inside jacket pockets are both made to house checkbook wallet/airline tickets, which is a very nice touch. I didn't try on the pants, but they are flat front. And as someone mentioned, indeed they are stiff as a board, no thanks to fusing. I love the look of the vest with lapels though (not the db vest).

11. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

If I recall, this is right before Roger's first heart attack. He probably should have kept the suit on.

Like the hooker said in Sunday's episode "Don't believe everything you hear.....no one dies doing this"

12. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Only problem I have with this pic is the tie is sticking out the bottom.

Is there a technical name for the phenomenon of that little bit of tie peeking out under the vest?

13. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

Is there a technical name for the phenomenon of that little bit of tie peeking out under the vest?

It reminds me of the joke about the drunk piano player.

14. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Error.

15. Matt B

Matt B Senior member

I tried on the suit (3 piece glen plaid). Not too bad of a fit to be honest, but the price is quite high for a fused garment. The tag indicates they are made in Turkey. The inside jacket pockets are both made to house checkbook wallet/airline tickets, which is a very nice touch. I didn't try on the pants, but they are flat front. And as someone mentioned, indeed they are stiff as a board, no thanks to fusing. I love the look of the vest with lapels though (not the db vest).

The BR store in Vancouver is now carrying some of the monogram line, of which this glen plaid suit is a part, if I remember correctly. I only tried on the jacket and thought it fit quite nicely, with a decent roll to the lapel. The fit was slim, at least for me. I did not try on the vest or pants.

But what amazed me was the price - about $900 CAD all three pieces. They must be joking! At half price, I would consider it, pending trying on the other items.

M