• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic or Club Monaco

vincent

Reaction score
I thought these two brands were similar in quality and price.

Are there any differences between the two?

At the end of the day, I would never buy from these two brands. I consider them to be knockoff brands.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Nanners tends to be a bit more conservative, uses somewhat decent fabrics (wool/cashmere sweaters, premium line of cotton dress shirts), and targets a slightly higher age group. Many of the clothes can be worn in a professional setting.

In my experience, Club Monaco is trendier, many items are not really office-appropriate , quality is lower, as is the price. They are targeting a younger group, and some of the clothes are Am-Jacky.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
'Nanners tends to be a bit more conservative, uses somewhat decent fabrics (wool/cashmere sweaters, premium line of cotton dress shirts), and targets a slightly higher age group. Many of the clothes can be worn in a professional setting.

In my experience, Club Monaco is trendier, many items are not really office-appropriate , quality is lower, as is the price. They are targeting a younger group, and some of the clothes are Am-Jacky.

correct, exactly what i was going to say.

i dont mind shopping at banana because they do have some quality stuff with a little sensibility in the lines. at a good discount, i can walk out of there with half dozen items and have no problems wearing them to the office.

i once had a 30 dollar gift certificate for club monaco and i had difficulty using it there. everytime i went to SC i walked into club and always walked out disappointed. if there was something decent, it was at their retail price, 40 or 50 dollars more than what i would consider paying for it. i even couple of times tried to convince the salesclerks to just give me cash back for it.
now i dont know if it is just the SC club monaco, but i havent gone back since i slowly used up the gift cert.

thisisme

Reaction score
how does zara fit into this equation and MEXX if anyone knows about that store/brand

nelly

Reaction score
I prefer BR over Club on every front except jeans. Club Monaco for some reason always seems to only have things in white, black or navy. Also, I think CM fits a little tighter (I'm a medium at Banana but large at CM)

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR better for officewear. CM I would not trust for tailored clothing, but they would be better for slightly trendy casual wear. CM is in the same design copy school as Zara, Mexx, H&M in that they are trying to find what's hot, make it cheaper and get it in there. Mexx and H&M do this faster and better, H&M being the king of it.

Not sure how Mexx works in the rest of the country and world but in NYC they made a weak impression, quite in the shadow of H&M.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads