• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Banana Republic or Club Monaco

vincent

Reaction score
I thought these two brands were similar in quality and price.

Are there any differences between the two?

At the end of the day, I would never buy from these two brands. I consider them to be knockoff brands.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Nanners tends to be a bit more conservative, uses somewhat decent fabrics (wool/cashmere sweaters, premium line of cotton dress shirts), and targets a slightly higher age group. Many of the clothes can be worn in a professional setting.

In my experience, Club Monaco is trendier, many items are not really office-appropriate , quality is lower, as is the price. They are targeting a younger group, and some of the clothes are Am-Jacky.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
'Nanners tends to be a bit more conservative, uses somewhat decent fabrics (wool/cashmere sweaters, premium line of cotton dress shirts), and targets a slightly higher age group. Many of the clothes can be worn in a professional setting.

In my experience, Club Monaco is trendier, many items are not really office-appropriate , quality is lower, as is the price. They are targeting a younger group, and some of the clothes are Am-Jacky.

correct, exactly what i was going to say.

i dont mind shopping at banana because they do have some quality stuff with a little sensibility in the lines. at a good discount, i can walk out of there with half dozen items and have no problems wearing them to the office.

i once had a 30 dollar gift certificate for club monaco and i had difficulty using it there. everytime i went to SC i walked into club and always walked out disappointed. if there was something decent, it was at their retail price, 40 or 50 dollars more than what i would consider paying for it. i even couple of times tried to convince the salesclerks to just give me cash back for it.
now i dont know if it is just the SC club monaco, but i havent gone back since i slowly used up the gift cert.

thisisme

Reaction score
how does zara fit into this equation and MEXX if anyone knows about that store/brand

nelly

Reaction score
I prefer BR over Club on every front except jeans. Club Monaco for some reason always seems to only have things in white, black or navy. Also, I think CM fits a little tighter (I'm a medium at Banana but large at CM)

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR better for officewear. CM I would not trust for tailored clothing, but they would be better for slightly trendy casual wear. CM is in the same design copy school as Zara, Mexx, H&M in that they are trying to find what's hot, make it cheaper and get it in there. Mexx and H&M do this faster and better, H&M being the king of it.

Not sure how Mexx works in the rest of the country and world but in NYC they made a weak impression, quite in the shadow of H&M.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 241 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.7%
  • 31 - 40