1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Banana Republic or Club Monaco

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vincent, Aug 30, 2006.

1. vincent

vincent Senior member

I thought these two brands were similar in quality and price.

Are there any differences between the two?

At the end of the day, I would never buy from these two brands. I consider them to be knockoff brands.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

'Nanners tends to be a bit more conservative, uses somewhat decent fabrics (wool/cashmere sweaters, premium line of cotton dress shirts), and targets a slightly higher age group. Many of the clothes can be worn in a professional setting.

In my experience, Club Monaco is trendier, many items are not really office-appropriate , quality is lower, as is the price. They are targeting a younger group, and some of the clothes are Am-Jacky.

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

'Nanners tends to be a bit more conservative, uses somewhat decent fabrics (wool/cashmere sweaters, premium line of cotton dress shirts), and targets a slightly higher age group. Many of the clothes can be worn in a professional setting.

In my experience, Club Monaco is trendier, many items are not really office-appropriate , quality is lower, as is the price. They are targeting a younger group, and some of the clothes are Am-Jacky.

correct, exactly what i was going to say.

i dont mind shopping at banana because they do have some quality stuff with a little sensibility in the lines. at a good discount, i can walk out of there with half dozen items and have no problems wearing them to the office.

i once had a 30 dollar gift certificate for club monaco and i had difficulty using it there. everytime i went to SC i walked into club and always walked out disappointed. if there was something decent, it was at their retail price, 40 or 50 dollars more than what i would consider paying for it. i even couple of times tried to convince the salesclerks to just give me cash back for it.
    now i dont know if it is just the SC club monaco, but i havent gone back since i slowly used up the gift cert.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

In comparison, I say Banana Republic is better in style and selection.

5. thisisme

thisisme Senior member

how does zara fit into this equation and MEXX if anyone knows about that store/brand

6. nelly

nelly Senior member

I prefer BR over Club on every front except jeans. Club Monaco for some reason always seems to only have things in white, black or navy. Also, I think CM fits a little tighter (I'm a medium at Banana but large at CM)

7. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

BR better for officewear. CM I would not trust for tailored clothing, but they would be better for slightly trendy casual wear. CM is in the same design copy school as Zara, Mexx, H&M in that they are trying to find what's hot, make it cheaper and get it in there. Mexx and H&M do this faster and better, H&M being the king of it.

Not sure how Mexx works in the rest of the country and world but in NYC they made a weak impression, quite in the shadow of H&M.