• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic, not that bad

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
Their leathers aren't bad but the fit is pretty terrible, at least on me. But not much fits me OTR there. I actually like the designs of their women's leathers a lot, they had bone colored band collar DR with perf leather last season. It was awesome

Actually I snagged a medium version of that jacket at half price a few weeks back and it fit rather snuggly, which is good.

raven37457

Reaction score
I have a vintage BR leather jacket for sale in the B/S forum. The quality of the jacket is great. I purchased it in the late 1990's. Unfortunately, the jacket is too big on me (XL) so I have to part with it. However, if it fit I would be wearing it every F/W.

Tigris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by raven37457
I have a vintage BR leather jacket for sale in the B/S forum. The quality of the jacket is great. I purchased it in the late 1990's. Unfortunately, the jacket is too big on me (XL) so I have to part with it. However, if it fit I would be wearing it every F/W.
I thought their leather jackets were made of cowhide?

raven37457

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tigris
I thought their leather jackets were made of cowhide?

The jacket was purchased as a gift when I was younger and is my only BR piece. I am not sure what is used to produce their leather jackets. I can only assume it is cowhide, on the tag is says 100% genuine leather.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srgprod
What about that brown leather jacket from last fall/winter. It was $ 298 and it was awesome. Maybe it was and aboration, one-of-a-kind thing?
Not having too much experience with leather, I thought it was decent and almost bought it with a 40% off coupon.
But when I hesitated and posted my uncertainty here, the replies I got scared me away.
eh.gif

Wish I could find them again.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't touch their dress shirts for the aforementioned reasons. Their polos ($10 apiece with nice colors on sale) and all my recent polos from them have held up to regular wear/tear/wash/dry. Their sweaters are also amazingly comfortable when you snag them on sale (regular sweaters, not the atrocious half-zip or quarter-zips!
laugh.gif
) at $20 or less. I definitely would never pay retail on their stuff.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i've never been in a banana republic despite walking by a huge one all the time. is it worth going in to see how bad it is?

depends, do you ever find yourself wishing you could step into a time warp back to 2001?

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
depends, do you ever find yourself wishing you could step into a time warp back to 2001?

funny.

I read some quote on a blog that BR is the store that caters to women who shop for their boyfriends.

I hate the place, their quality is terrible, shirts ugly and sml sized, pants weird-fitting, sweaters pill-y and unattractive.
Very 2001.

Some of their old safari stuff is cool though.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
What is mindblowing to me is BR's resistance to anything that resembles either fashion or style. It's in a clothing purgatory where everyone always wear a blue dress shirt and Gavin chinos with their shiny black shoes.

+1000.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bows1
I try to piece together a nice shirt + tie combo for them out of the **** we have, and their girlfriend always picks out the worst combo ever, (see above, or dark green shirt with dark green tie :fail
smile.gif
and they always go with her choice.

Yes, why is it that women usually go for the worst combo? I thought women had an eye for style...
confused.gif

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by superbestfriend
I actually got a perfect fit in the new-cut $60 slim-fit banana dress shirt. Something I couldn't achieve in any $200 shirt on the market. I think it all depends on your body type.

Maybe so, but I bet the fabric is paper thin and won't stand up to washing.

srgprod

Reaction score
Really sorry you didn't grab that jacket. With the 40% discount (or even at the retail price of $ 298) that was one of be best leather jackets you could find and was a real bargain. One might show up on ebay. so try looking there from time to time. I don't know how many pieces they made but I assume there were quite a few. The quality of the leather, having six pockets (two interior, two patch and two hand warmer), gusseted sleeves, button cuff closures, etc. made this an amazing piece.

It's too bad that some brands get so much hate. Not all clothes from these companies suck. There are some really great pieces from time to time.

Originally Posted by chenzhongbi
Not having too much experience with leather, I thought it was decent and almost bought it with a 40% off coupon.
But when I hesitated and posted my uncertainty here, the replies I got scared me away.
eh.gif

Wish I could find them again.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
What is mindblowing to me is BR's resistance to anything that resembles either fashion or style. It's in a clothing purgatory where everyone always wear a blue dress shirt and Gavin chinos with their shiny black shoes. I hope someone reinvents them, and fast.

Another great quote, although for me the quintessential BR a light blue v-neck (ribbed even) over a white tee shirt, over some light stone-colored stretch paints, and tacky black leather square toed shoes.

I really hate BR, so I'm enjoying reading through this thread.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's 2 things I always buy at BR...when on deep deep sale : socks and crewneck longsleeved t-shirts

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads