1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Banana Republic, not that bad

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by deveandepot1, Nov 4, 2009.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I do like some of the Heritage line.

The Monogram line isn't that bad either.

2. bananananana

bananananana Senior member

I never understood what BR is doing with their Heritage and Monogram lines. They both seem to be around the same price and level, and no real distinction in either.

They really need to just make th emonogram line a higher end line to compete with PRL (made in italy/england) or BB level stuff.

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

The modern fit vs. the tailored fit is quite literally night and day. For the modern fit to fit, you would have to go down a size or two to make it look OK. This is a bit hard for me, however, as I am a 36. Heritage is more of a safari style, almost utility (thus, heritage, like their original brand style) and monogram is better fitting, more fashion forward, and typically found in monotone colors like grey. Here is a short list of what is worth buying there in store, because their website & online selection is poor. - Slim fit non-iron shirts. If have any interest in non-iron, these hold up pretty well. They also come with french cuffs, which is a plus. If you dont want french cuffs, the newer style (spring and summer '10) classic fits have been taken in at the waist. I'm sure that these are still a bit boxy, so going a size down may help. - Vintage straight chinos. (not shown properly on the website) They wont be labeled as vintage straight, but rather as straight fit. The ones you want are lighter material, and have back flap pockets. These are very narrow in both the thigh and the leg and fit well. Their vintage straight jeans are also very well fitting, and worth getting if you want a narrow, shilouette fit. Their regular straight fit jeans have a break at the botton, whereas the vintage straight do not. - Tailored Fit suit. Pretty expensive for BR, but it is half canvassed (don't quote me on this) and fits incredibly well when you find the right size. There are a lot of promotion worth taking advantage of and when you apply them you can easily get this suit for +40% off. - Skinny ties. Not uber skinny, but some styles/colors look great and dont feel cheap. Try picking these up on discount. -100% Silk pocket squares. Almost all of these are marked down. I picked a dark blue one up for $3.50 the other day. This price should be nationwide. Probably worth more as silk. These probably wont be marked as the right price, so ask for a price check to see what styles are priced. - Casual button downs. The ones you find without button front pockets, should have room for collar stays, easy to dress up or down, and usually come in slim fit. -Tailored fit blazer. They come out with these once every fall, usually in navy pinstripe. More than likely, your nearby store will have a ton of these on sale right now (@ $99.99). They are very casual, very soft, and look really nice. Like the tailored fit suit, they fit well and at 100 bucks is worth it for a good every day 3 button blazer. -Straw fedora. Very cool, fits well, and is cheap @ $40.00 Some ways to save - Go in with your student ID (or bring a friend who is a student) and get 15% off your whole purchase including sale. - Sign up for your stores mailing list (not just the company's) to get emails for the often steep promotions. - Open a card at the store, even if you are declined some stores will still give you the 15% enrollment discount. Combinable with the student discount. - currently if you buy anything (like a $3 pocketsquare) you should be getting a coupon for 40% off a single full priced item for 4 wednesdays starting on the 26th through the 3rd wednesday in june. This is combinable with your student discount, and the enrollment discount. A good way to get your suit at over 50% off. - If you end up getting or have a BR card, you get a lot of rewards like $$ off or % off. Hope this info can help, and make BR a little more worth it. There is no reason to buy anything there at full priced.

4. bows1

bows1 Senior member

The modern fit vs. the tailored fit is quite literally night and day. For the modern fit to fit, you would have to go down a size or two to make it look OK. This is a bit hard for me, however, as I am a 36. Heritage is more of a safari style, almost utility (thus, heritage, like their original brand style) and monogram is better fitting, more fashion forward, and typically found in monotone colors like grey. Here is a short list of what is worth buying there in store, because their website & online selection is poor. - Vintage straight chinos. (not shown properly on the website) They wont be labeled as vintage straight, but rather as straight fit. The ones you want are lighter material, and have back flap pockets. These are very narrow in both the thigh and the leg and fit well. Their vintage straight jeans are also very well fitting, and worth getting if you want a narrow, shilouette fit. Their regular straight fit jeans have a break at the botton, whereas the vintage straight do not.
    This is incorrect; the vintage straight fits are labeled as such, under no circumstances buy the straight fit. edit - wait you mean they will be labeled wrong on the website or in the store?

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

This is incorrect; the vintage straight fits are labeled as such, under no circumstances buy the straight fit.

edit - wait you mean they will be labeled wrong on the website or in the store?

The website doesn't show the whole selection well at all, and I would not suggest going there except for a tie, hat, etc...

At least in the store near me, they are labeled straight fit, and there is no signage that suggest that they are vintage straight. They are distinctive however by the somewhat frayed front pockets and back flap pockets.

6. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Senior member

br quality has gone down quite significantly over the past 5,6 years, there's no denying that as I have made most of my workwear purchases from there over the years, being a recent college grad and not having the dough for more expensive clothing.

i do really like their dress pants though as far as fit/look/quality, when on sale they seem to be a good value.

their slim fit shirts dont exactly fit that great around the waist but otherwise they are cut relatively slim. i've noticed that sizing down 1 size from your actual size actually gives you an almost perfect cut for an OTR shirt. I'm normally a size S and find that the XS shirts fit like a glove, I only wish I had realized this sooner. Still though, the patterns on almost all of their slim cut dress shirts suck ball$ and you see very little variety as the seasons change. If they came out with some simple, basic patterns or even solids I would probably get more of my dress shirts here as they are a decent value when heavily discounted. Still hard to find affordable dress shirts that look good if you aren't a high roller. BB slim fit is no better from my experience as far as the fit.

7. hellrazor

hellrazor New Member

i have to say their medium tall is the perfect sizing for me. if they had some better styles i would buy more often from there.

8. TM79

TM79 Senior member

i have to say their medium tall is the perfect sizing for me. if they had some better styles i would buy more often from there.

+1

I'll wear their poplin button down shirts to work since it's a business casual envrionment and their medium tall shirts fit me better off the rack than anything else I've managed to come across.

9. porschemad911

porschemad911 Senior member

I like their silk/cashmere knits for the price, got a nice lightweight zip cardigan.

10. svelten

svelten Senior member

Can't say I've gone wrong with any of my BR purchases - $25 belts, $24 chinos, $150 overcoat, $30 leather gloves, $40 cashmere scarf and a $35 v-neck sweater. All new, straight from the store so I could actually try them on, and all have lasted 3+ years. Their value on sale is indisputable - if BR is "poor quality", what do you call the shit they sell at H&M, Zara, Hilfiger, Monaco, Nigerian-level rubbish? Their shirts are awful and their suits are beyond terrible, but that's not what you enter the store for. More than often I'm just as happy, if not more so with the price I've paid for a BR piece than some "middling designer shit" for twice the price (but not twice the value) that I've found on eBay.

11. gilwood

gilwood Senior member

The stuff is only worth it after massive sales and discounts.

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    The stuff is only worth it after massive sales and discounts.

I like about 20% of the current BR offerings. The sales can make the good stuff a killer deal.

As I said before, the brand used to be killer but has fallen on some hard times. I still believe we will see the corporate side restructure the brand in the next couple years much like they did to save Gap.

13. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Buy something there and they'll give you a bunch of 40 percent off coupons for every Wednesday in July. Coupon works only for regularly-priced items.

14. Jr Mouse

Buy something there and they'll give you a bunch of 40 percent off coupons for every Wednesday in July. Coupon works only a regularly-priced items.

I believe the coupons work at Gap too.

15. snuff_daddy

snuff_daddy Senior member

Buy something there and they'll give you a bunch of 40 percent off coupons for every Wednesday in July. Coupon works only for regularly-priced items.

i bought something recently and i didnt get any 40% off coupons? i got one from their newsletter last week

16. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

As a current pt-employee at BR, I have to agree that the style and quality of the stuff has generally gone in a downward direction in the recent past.

But, I can also say that the hype we're getting from people upstairs is that this current Fall season is going to be the "big turnaround," so to speak.

Now, my bet is that that's just brand hype and bull, but you never know. From what I've seen in pictures and in the PK books they release to the stores before the lines come out, it could be on its way back up.

But it's true - the stuff isn't worth its price until it's been marked down.

17. JG000

JG000 Senior member

As a current pt-employee at BR, I have to agree that the style and quality of the stuff has generally gone in a downward direction in the recent past.

But, I can also say that the hype we're getting from people upstairs is that this current Fall season is going to be the "big turnaround," so to speak.

Now, my bet is that that's just brand hype and bull, but you never know. From what I've seen in pictures and in the PK books they release to the stores before the lines come out, it could be on its way back up.

Quality of clothing aside (I actually happen to like their stuff) - how is it as far as job? Are they a decent employer?

18. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Quality of clothing aside (I actually happen to like their stuff) - how is it as far as job? Are they a decent employer?
    Don't get me wrong - the employee discount means I have a lot of BR/Gap in my wardrobe too. For basics it's great. 50% off stuff is the main reason I keep the job. It all kind of depends on management. Currently we have a great crew at my store, and so it makes working there quite fun and entertaining. The company itself is decent enough to work for; all very professional, ability to move up, rather flexible hours (for a full-time student and father), and I can't say I've ever had any issues that couldn't be resolved. If anything the worst of my experience with GAPInc has been personality clashes - which realistically you just suck it up and do your job. There's never been anything that's happened where I wouldn't recommend them as an employer. I don't know - what more would you want to know, JG000?

19. hastur

hastur Senior member

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't even go into BR anymore, it's a real shame too because there used to be a lot of nice stuff to be found for very cheap due to the coupons that come around once a week or so.

20. Jr Mouse

I'll believe it when I see it. I don't even go into BR anymore, it's a real shame too because there used to be a lot of nice stuff to be found for very cheap due to the coupons that come around once a week or so.

It's going to happen at some point, if not this fall, soon. Think about how much they invested in Gap to make it feel relevant again. I know I sound like a broken record on this, but I predict BR is next. Too much potential money is to be made, not to.