• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic Monogram pulled from stores

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The monogram line was pulled from the stores due to poor sales because it was too expensive, sales person told me today. Apparently they over estimated their customer.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does that mean they'll be turning up in the outlets?

Enfo

Reaction score
That sales associate lied to you.

Monogram sales are doing real good... the stand-alone Monogram store has almost doubled its goal (the store is planned to be open till Feb. and it's already doubled the expectations).

They're even making more of the merchandise to keep up with demand. They used to make limited quantities of everything, but lately they've been running more Monogram than Heritage and regular suiting.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the sales associate meant it was pulled from the original poster's store, and not companywide.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Banana Republic baffles me. It used to be sort of crappy clothing at cheapish prices. Now it's worse clothing at astounding prices. I browse there occasionally, but I can't see how they sell a single thing.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Is Monogram supposed to be better made than the regular stuff? If so, I can't tell it.

Construction is essentially the same but Monogram uses nicer fabrics and has slightly more refined details and features like linings, buttonholes... nothing to get excited about.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understood it to mean it was being pulled company wide, but it's quite possible that floor level part-time sales help isn't on the up and up with corporate wide decision making. Ha ha ha....

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Banana Republic baffles me. It used to be sort of crappy clothing at cheapish prices. Now it's worse clothing at astounding prices. I browse there occasionally, but I can't see how they sell a single thing.

Not entirely true. Back in late 80's/early 90's (wow, that's almost 15-20 years ago) BR actually makes quite decent products.

For instance, I still have dress pants from back then that were made in Italy and quality-wise is about the same as the generic RL Purple Label pants you see today. I'm not kidding.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106

For instance, I still have dress pants from back then that were made in Italy and quality-wise is about the same as the generic RL Purple Label pants you see today. I'm not kidding.

+1! yes! i may very well have the same pair of pants. anyway, i bought two pairs of Italian made wool flat front pants from BR almost 10 years ago and they're still in my rotation today. but since then i have not been able to find the same quality.

-Jeff

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Several years back, I found BR clothing to be of decent quality and price, but not in recent years.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Not entirely true. Back in late 80's/early 90's (wow, that's almost 15-20 years ago) BR actually makes quite decent products.

Yes- In the 80's, when their style fit their name, with lots of khaki, travelers clothes, wollens, etc it was very good quality... and not particularly cheap either, for a mall brand.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think their merino sweaters are pretty solid if you get them on sale. I also like their jeans, which have proven to be durable for me.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there was a point in time, at least 10 years ago, where BR looked great. smart styles, decent fabric, fair prices. It was well designed. Not sure who was in charge back then. but whoever it was must have left. BR has never found their way since.

the monogram stuff is bad! the jackets are oddly proportioned. the shirts, though using Thomas mason fabric, have a slimey finish. the usualy Albini finish is soft. this stuff is almost wrinkle free there is so much resin on it.

as usual the designers have added numerous stupid details to make the clothing look high end!!!
details that true high end makers don't even bother with.

Poor BR.
I walked in the 5th ave and 18th st store back in august. one section was filled with Gap like striped polo shirts. one section was knocking off Club Mononco. all blacks, white, and grey.(as if someone really needs to knock of club monoco, which way back when was fake prada!
another section was pulling that army & navy/polo rugby look, with fewer tricks.
and lastely , there were tables of mediocre dress shirts.

Well that was my opinion. maybe they should let me consult!

Carl

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The decline seems to have coincided with GAP Inc.'s takeover. Must everything they touch turn to poison?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads