• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Banana Republic Dress Pants Sizing Help

Izod32

Reaction score
Hey all. I always wore jeans but i want to get some dress pants. I tried on some at BR and the one i liked was wool and darkish gray and fit very well. However, when i'm standing, it felt like it wasn't long enough maybe though i'm not sure. I'm 5'8 and about 162lbs or so. When i wear buy jeans, i buy 32/30. But the dress pants from banana republic seemed to not cover my shoe fully though. I was wearing a loafer and it didn't cover the whole thing so i could see my socks even when i'm standing up. Is that too short? I tried the 32/32 but it was very long.

Does anyone know if BR dress pants are shorter in terms of length?

Izod32

Reaction score
anyone who wears BR dress pants can help?

manpennies

Reaction score
I'm 5'7 and about the same weight. I generally buy a 31/30 in jeans from them. They're a good fit for me. Maybe being an inch shorter is good for me. I mean, you could always just buy the 32 and get them hemmed. I'd prefer too long over too short.

I work for H&M and all our dress pants come standard 32 length. So I have to get all of them hemmed.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now he's going to start a thread about hemming.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izod32
Does anyone know if BR dress pants are shorter in terms of length?
That's because the average BR shopper is overweight. Since everyone is overweight, the only way someone could possibly have a tiny 28 to 30" waist is if they're an overweight midget. You hear talk about size inflation, but I've noticed there seems to be a trend towards shorter inseams on the smaller waist non-denim pants. It's as if these waist sizes are increasingly designed solely for small/short people, whereas before the lengths were more of a compromise designed to accommodate both tall-skinny and short people. It's ironic how I don't see this issue as often with Japanese pieces, yet everyone here likes to think of Japanese people as being so much shorter. The difference I guess is that tall-skinny is far more common in Japan than the US.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.