Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Banana Republic Coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VMan, Oct 25, 2004.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

First off, before I get any heat for posting about Banana Republic here, I know the quality isn't going to be top-end. Â I just want something that's a good value for the money. I was at the mall today and popped in the BR store to see if they had any nice items on clearance - pretty much the only time the clothes are worth the retail price. Â However, I noticed they had some very nice looking overcoats. Â The fabric felt quite nice, and the cut was good too. Â Anyone have experience with their outerwear? Â The pieces I saw were made in Eastern European countries. Â Specifically, I liked: [​IMG] Available in both black and brown (I liked the brown), with a subtle herringbone weave. Â I also liked the ticket pocket detail. Â $250, but if I could get it for $175 or so towards the end of the season, do you think it would be a good deal? website details [​IMG] I also saw this one on their website, but I didn't notice it at the retail store. Â I haven't seen a chalkstripe topcoat before, and I thought the idea was quite interesting. Â I also like the ticket pocket on this one. Â Same price, so if I could get it for $150-175 I probably will. website page for chalkstripe coat

2. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I actually like the Banana Republic coats, especially that top one. It is really too bad that they are not offering the coat in a navy color, since I am after a navy topcoat for the winter. I do have a black 3/4 length banana republic coat that I really enjoy. My only problem with this season's topcoats are their fly fronts. I prefer to have the buttons showing. I did see the brown one in their store and I should have tried it on. I am a 36R, which means that I would have to go with the small. They are nice looking coats overall though, and well priced IMHO.

3. VMan

VMan Senior member

The more that I think about it, $250 isn't too bad. Maybe I'll just throw a few things on ebay and have that as my designated 'BR Topcoat Fund'.

4. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

To touch one of those Banana Republic coats pictured above is to touch cardboard. Good for traveling in January, as a blanket on a third class night train across northern India.

5. gregory

gregory Senior member

Dear VersaceMan:

Only you know what you like best, but I tried on the Banana Republic topcoat you mentioned and also the hidden-placket carcoat with slanted pockets. The topcoat was very rough. The carcoat was too edgy and modernish for my taste. I like something that looked more traditional. In the end I actually returned my Brooks Brothers hunting jacket because the fit was just not good enough - S is too small for me and M is too large, especially at my waist. I ended up buying a carcoat from Gap (gasp.) Quality is not the greatest but the fit on my body could not be better...

Addenum: I am biased against topcoats and other long coats in general because they make me look short.

6. shqiptar

shqiptar Well-Known Member

Drawn by its slick cut, I went to a Banana Republic outlet, and tried it on. It's rough for dress overcoat, and the most important: I don't think it would be comfortable if you wore a suit (I tried with a sweater only). The coat is snug and the arm holes are too high to suppurt a suit under it.

If you already have other overcoats though, this one would be great if you intentionally wore it without a suit, but with a thick wool sweater, turtle neck, etc.

7. HeyYouItsMike

HeyYouItsMike Well-Known Member

Try eBay, there's a lot of decent BR deals.

8. VMan

VMan Senior member

Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't be wearing this with a suit, only over a sweater or shirt. The higher armholes would actually probably suit me well in that case.

I'll check ebay, and also probably head back to the store in late January or early Feb and see if I can get it on clearance for a decent price.

9. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I bought a BR black topcoat about 2 yrs ago I think (Winter 02), and was very happy with it, for what it's worth. It's lost now, and I lament it greatly. I got it on sale for around $125 I think, and I definitely got my money's worth. It's not the dressiest, softest, or best constructed, but that allowed me not to be too concerned about wearing it a lot - probably contributing to my losing it, eventually. [​IMG]

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

This is exactly my thinking. I don't want something really nice or expensive - no cashmere overcoats for me - because I'm going to be wearing this coat while walking to class in the rain and snow, getting salt on it if I brush up against a car, wearing it to smokey bars, wearing it to parties where it's likely something will be spilled, etc.

11. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

Eric: You havent seen one before cause you have not been spending NEARLY enough time on MY Website [​IMG] [​IMG] Chalk Stripe 3/4 coat

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Really beautiful, FIH, just a little out of my price range. Okay, a lot, until that promotion comes through. [​IMG] Rolling up my sleeves and doing some serious document management.

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

FIH,

That is a stunning coat, too bad it's far out of my (sensible) price range. The coat looks nicely fitted though, and nipped in at the waist.

You need a ticket pocket on that bad boy, though.

14. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I was in Off 5th yesterday and they had some nice Jhane Barnes top coats for about $100, seemed like nice quality garments, retail was somewhere north of $800.

15. Kevin

Kevin Senior member

I have a BR 3/4 coat from a few years ago (winter 01-02, as I recall), and it's held up well over the years.  Mine was a better blend of cashmere and wool then they've had in the past year or two.  Overall, I'd say it was worth the money.  The cut might not be the greatest, but it's stylish and gets the job done for my purposes - mainly trekking across campus and evenings out.  $250 is too much though.  Wait until the post-holiday markdown, BR usually goes down to around 50-75% off.

Kevin