• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Banana Republic - Chambray Shirt?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks good and is a great price. I kicked myself for not jumping on it when they still had them in Tall sizes. Now they are out and I can't buy it.
frown.gif

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do all Chambray shirts have that weird thing on the collar? I was going to pull the trigger on one but when I noticed that weird thing I was like hm... weird.

kontai69

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lemmywinks
Do all Chambray shirts have that weird thing on the collar? I was going to pull the trigger on one but when I noticed that weird thing I was like hm... weird.
You mean the tab?
Yeah, I don't like the tab collar. I bought the J.Crew chambray and returned it because the tab rubs my chin if I didn't button it down (I like to wear my shirts with the top buttons undone).

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for that price, i got a rrl chambray from a past season. selvedge plackets/gussets if that acutally matters.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there any men's clothier out there who doesn't make a chambray shirt?
From mall titians like BRGAPOLDNAVY to tiny little indie one-guy labels.

I don't personally care for BR's style, but it was cohesive and recognizable before.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BR's chambray is the worst in terms of fit. Both J.Crew and Gap are better (although still nothing to write home about).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
BR's chambray is the worst in terms of fit. Both J.Crew and Gap are better (although still nothing to write home about).
Fit is somewhat of a subjective thing. While I wouldn't call most BR clothes super slim fitting, they do have a modern cut to them.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Totally should do a BR SS2010 thread.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Fit is somewhat of a subjective thing. While I wouldn't call most BR clothes super slim fitting, they do have a modern cut to them.
Rephrase: for the average SF build and fit preferences, the fit is terrible, at least on that particular shirt (haven't tried on a lot of BR). Might work if you're grossly overweight and/or misshapen, I guess.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
Rephrase: for the average SF build and fit preferences, the fit is terrible, at least on that particular shirt (haven't tried on a lot of BR). Might work if you're grossly overweight and/or misshapen, I guess.

I have noticed that the "average SF build" seems to be an XS shirt and 30" waist. If you want to make general statements on the fit of a brand based on that criteria, then ya BR sucks. If you want to make statements based on more average sized people then I think you would find that while BR is not the best cut in the world, it's not horrible.

Again, fit is subjective. I'm 6'6" and if you tried to stick what the "average SF" wears on me I would look like a clown.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I have noticed that the "average SF build" seems to be an XS shirt and 30" waist. If you want to make general statements on the fit of a brand based on that criteria, then ya BR sucks. If you want to make statements based on more average sized people then I think you would find that while BR is not the best cut in the world, it's not horrible.

Again, fit is subjective. I'm 6'6" and if you tried to stick what the "average SF" wears on me I would look like a clown.

Most XS probably have a 29 or smaller waist. And judging by the BS forums XS is not the "average SF build." BR sucks regardless of your waist size.

m0j0

Reaction score
the chambray @ BR is similiar to gap. the buttons have a more 'grippy' feel to it and well since it IS BR, im assuming the material of the chambray shirt is just softer.

the gap one is more rugged/rough

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads