• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bamboo woven into cloth

Sonny58

Reaction score
I have only recently become aware of bamboo being woven into cloth. Can a bamboo blend be considered high quality? I'm sure it's durable and probably environmentally friendly but are there any other redeeming characteristics?

bjornb17

Reaction score
Be careful that it's not Rayon, which manufacturers sometimes claim is bamboo.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Be careful that it's not Rayon, which manufacturers sometimes claim is bamboo.

Well, you can make rayon from bamboo, so it's not as much of a stretch as it sounds. But yeah, they are different materials by the time it's processed into rayon.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rayon is a byproduct of plant fibers such as bamboo. Many plastics are byproducts of corn. Doesn't mean they are the same materials they came from.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
According to the label on my SC, 75% of my jacket is bamboo, and the other 25% is rayon.
I would guess that this means that it's 75% rayon made of bamboo, 25% rayon made of other stuff.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I would guess that this means that it's 75% rayon made of bamboo, 25% rayon made of other stuff.

+1

I recall reading an article about a year so so ago (maybe in the NY times) about the fact that references to bamboo in clothing labeling was just a gimmick as rayon made from bamboo is no different from any other kind of rayon.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Actual bamboo fiber has some antimicrobial qualities, and so is useful in underwear stuff. I cannot comment on the rayon/bamboo deception factor, but where I see a lot of bamboo fiber claimed is in socks.

As A Ps have said, all Rayon is cellulose based, so determening if whatchoo got is actually Bamboo fiber or Bamboo-based Rayon (given all the cheaper sources for cellulose, it seems rather counterproductive) is up to you.

Poinz

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads