• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bamboo woven into cloth

Sonny58

Reaction score
I have only recently become aware of bamboo being woven into cloth. Can a bamboo blend be considered high quality? I'm sure it's durable and probably environmentally friendly but are there any other redeeming characteristics?

bjornb17

Reaction score
Be careful that it's not Rayon, which manufacturers sometimes claim is bamboo.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Be careful that it's not Rayon, which manufacturers sometimes claim is bamboo.

Well, you can make rayon from bamboo, so it's not as much of a stretch as it sounds. But yeah, they are different materials by the time it's processed into rayon.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Rayon is a byproduct of plant fibers such as bamboo. Many plastics are byproducts of corn. Doesn't mean they are the same materials they came from.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
According to the label on my SC, 75% of my jacket is bamboo, and the other 25% is rayon.
I would guess that this means that it's 75% rayon made of bamboo, 25% rayon made of other stuff.

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I would guess that this means that it's 75% rayon made of bamboo, 25% rayon made of other stuff.

+1

I recall reading an article about a year so so ago (maybe in the NY times) about the fact that references to bamboo in clothing labeling was just a gimmick as rayon made from bamboo is no different from any other kind of rayon.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Actual bamboo fiber has some antimicrobial qualities, and so is useful in underwear stuff. I cannot comment on the rayon/bamboo deception factor, but where I see a lot of bamboo fiber claimed is in socks.

As A Ps have said, all Rayon is cellulose based, so determening if whatchoo got is actually Bamboo fiber or Bamboo-based Rayon (given all the cheaper sources for cellulose, it seems rather counterproductive) is up to you.

Poinz

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.