• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bamboo woven into cloth

Sonny58

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
418
Reaction score
97
I have only recently become aware of bamboo being woven into cloth. Can a bamboo blend be considered high quality? I'm sure it's durable and probably environmentally friendly but are there any other redeeming characteristics?
 

bjornb17

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2010
Messages
732
Reaction score
11
Be careful that it's not Rayon, which manufacturers sometimes claim is bamboo.
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Be careful that it's not Rayon, which manufacturers sometimes claim is bamboo.

Well, you can make rayon from bamboo, so it's not as much of a stretch as it sounds. But yeah, they are different materials by the time it's processed into rayon.
 

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
7,527
Reaction score
25
Rayon is a byproduct of plant fibers such as bamboo. Many plastics are byproducts of corn. Doesn't mean they are the same materials they came from.
 

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
May 5, 2005
Messages
5,832
Reaction score
1,380
Originally Posted by acridsheep
According to the label on my SC, 75% of my jacket is bamboo, and the other 25% is rayon.
I would guess that this means that it's 75% rayon made of bamboo, 25% rayon made of other stuff.
 

East Oakland

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I would guess that this means that it's 75% rayon made of bamboo, 25% rayon made of other stuff.

+1

I recall reading an article about a year so so ago (maybe in the NY times) about the fact that references to bamboo in clothing labeling was just a gimmick as rayon made from bamboo is no different from any other kind of rayon.
 

Poindexter

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
422
Reaction score
14
Actual bamboo fiber has some antimicrobial qualities, and so is useful in underwear stuff. I cannot comment on the rayon/bamboo deception factor, but where I see a lot of bamboo fiber claimed is in socks.

As A Ps have said, all Rayon is cellulose based, so determening if whatchoo got is actually Bamboo fiber or Bamboo-based Rayon (given all the cheaper sources for cellulose, it seems rather counterproductive) is up to you.

Poinz
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
426,996
Messages
9,189,509
Members
193,015
Latest member
LOHaraa

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top