• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bamboo sport coats

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I tried on a Bamboo sport coat from Canali (the one from their summer catolog in pink). The coat was beautiful and worn like a dream. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what are the properties of bamboo, light weight, breathable, wrinkle resistant, etc. Also do you know any other manufactures that use bamboo in sport coats or suits?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember handling some Zegna cloth made with bamboo. It wrinkles. It just sounds like a novelty to me. It looks like you could do just as well with something made of linen or even lightweight wool.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some 85% (?) bamboo socks. This might not seem like much help, but I can assure you that they're very resilient and every bit as breathable as cotton socks. As for properties that pertain to coats, I just can't help you there. Sounds interesting, though.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fabric is actually called "Jute." To describe it, picture a mixture of linen and silk. It is very breathable, and the same weight as a heavier silk. It also fairly durable in that wrinkles are at a minimum; nothing like a cotton or linen coat. Every once in a while you'll see a company make a style or two with this fabric.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really love some blazers and sportcoats I've seen in blends of bamboo and silk, bamboo and linen etc. But I have no idea how they wear. I too have some bamboo blend socks and they have held up well, but I'm not sure if that is an indicator.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bamboo and soybean: is there nothing they can't do?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shirts in a timely manner.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll put a vote in for Hemp as well. Rope, fabric, oil, even soap and shampoo containing Omega acids. Not to mention the obvious
biggrin.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you mean paper, of course...
tounge.gif

naturlaut

Reaction score
I remember handling some Zegna cloth made with bamboo. It wrinkles. It just sounds like a novelty to me. It looks like you could do just as well with something made of linen or even lightweight wool.
Yes, it was fabric that came out last year from Zegna. They first had it blended with cashmere, but now I think they have other blends too.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Kiton also has a bamboo blend in their current seasons selections.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread.

Has anyone had any experience using bamboo in tailored clothing since this discussion?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads