• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bamboo as suiting fabric

darkoak

Reaction score
I saw a nice Kiton sportcoat at Barneys sale today, made of 50% cashmere, 50% bamboo. I was surprised when I read the table--what, this thing is made from the same material as chopsticks? However the fabric felt pretty nice, maybe b/c of the high cashmere content. Anyone has experience wearing a bamboo garment? What's the long-term performance like? Do you get splinters ever?
biggrin.gif

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
I've heard that these are the number one cause of Panda attacks.

Dan

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No joke - I got some cashmere/silk blend swatches from China last year. They had some bamboo blends that were phenomenol... much to my chagrin. Some other weird sh.t in there too... lemme see if I can find the box in the swatch room...

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK - here we go... 50/50 soybean/bamboo blend with interesting properties:

Fat 2 grams
Carbs 8g
fiber 7.99 g
Protein 15g

...no kidding - stuff feels like a cashmere & silk blend... I just can't market that unless it is in a health food store.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never worn it, but must say it looks and feels wonderful - great summer fabric.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
The made to measure place in my neighborhood of Tokyo was offering fabrics made with bamboo a year or two ago. I think their angle was "natural fiber, cool in summer, a little Asian tradition."

I was a bit skeptical, and didn't get anything made in the fabric.

Bic

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
In the Philippines the men wear a formal shirt called a Barong. (see www.mybarong.com). Some are made out of the fiber from a plant called Pina. Some of the shirts are very beautiful with hand embroidery or even machine done. These shirts are very stiff and they wear a white tshirt under them. I have one but mine is made of a softer material and with a mandarin collar. So I suppose it is possible to use bamboo as well. Bob in Guam

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads