1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bamboo as suiting fabric

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by darkoak, Feb 18, 2005.

1. darkoak

darkoak Senior Member

I saw a nice Kiton sportcoat at Barneys sale today, made of 50% cashmere, 50% bamboo. I was surprised when I read the table--what, this thing is made from the same material as chopsticks? However the fabric felt pretty nice, maybe b/c of the high cashmere content. Anyone has experience wearing a bamboo garment? What's the long-term performance like? Do you get splinters ever? [​IMG]

2. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

I think the Professor made one on an episode of Gilligan's Island once. [​IMG]

3. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior Member

I've heard that these are the number one cause of Panda attacks.

Dan

4. Carlo

Carlo Distinguished Member

No joke - I got some cashmere/silk blend swatches from China last year. They had some bamboo blends that were phenomenol... much to my chagrin. Some other weird sh.t in there too... lemme see if I can find the box in the swatch room...

5. Carlo

Carlo Distinguished Member

OK - here we go... 50/50 soybean/bamboo blend with interesting properties:

Fat 2 grams
    Carbs 8g
    fiber 7.99 g
    Protein 15g

...no kidding - stuff feels like a cashmere & silk blend... I just can't market that unless it is in a health food store.

6. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I have never worn it, but must say it looks and feels wonderful - great summer fabric.

7. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

The made to measure place in my neighborhood of Tokyo was offering fabrics made with bamboo a year or two ago. I think their angle was "natural fiber, cool in summer, a little Asian tradition."

I was a bit skeptical, and didn't get anything made in the fabric.

Bic

8. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior Member

In the Philippines the men wear a formal shirt called a Barong. (see www.mybarong.com). Some are made out of the fiber from a plant called Pina. Some of the shirts are very beautiful with hand embroidery or even machine done. These shirts are very stiff and they wear a white tshirt under them. I have one but mine is made of a softer material and with a mandarin collar. So I suppose it is possible to use bamboo as well. Bob in Guam