• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baltimore Restaurants

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Charleston is outrageously expensive but hands-down the "best" restaurant in Baltimore. I mean we're talking $600 for a couple, and that's even if you're trying to be relatively conservative on wine. It's intended to be in that French Laundry kind of vein and you'll get the most refined meal that can be had in Baltimore.

Petit Louis is by the same group and is a very reasonable bistro. It's far more reasonably priced, though certainly not cheap. Execution of dishes should be up to a national standard.

I personally think the Black Olive is the best kept secret in Baltimore. It does get great reviews but it never looks as crowded as it ought to be. The fish is outstanding. It's where I'd steer you to go first.

Woodberry Kitchen and Dogwood get high marks (they're both in that slow-food movement, regional southern-influenced cuisine) but I have not been to either and so I can't vouch personally for either. Salt is also highly recommended by people who ought to know but I haven't been there either. It's much more casual, and might be fun.

If you can get to Frederick, which is about 50 miles west, you can go to Volt, which is Brian Voltaggio's (of Top Chef fame) restaurant.

Unfortunately, Baltimore is not a great restaurant town. There are plenty of other places you can go that are fun and even have a great meal, but most are highly variable and you might have a big letdown your next time around, so I hesitate to mention places like Cinghiale, Pazo, Kali's Court, and a handful of others. It's just not a town that's up to the high precision standards of, say, NYC or Chicago or SF or LA.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is supports my interest. I always thought the Charleston was less than 150 for three course with wine pairings? But you should know since you went. oh well, no lunch for me!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's been a while since I was at Charleston, so it's possible recession pricing has set in, but the meal was so expensive I've been scared off and their website doesn't exactly advertise their prices.

When I went I think we ordered the 5 or 6 course tasting menu and it was probably $150-180 or so PP, but that doesn't include any wine pairings. I think I ordered 2 half-bottles even though they were trying to push a bottle on us for every course or two. With coffees and pre-dinner cocktails the bill was well over $400, so with tip it was like $500, and I considered myself to have been extremely restrained in my wine consumption (and selections), so I think my estimate is probably pretty fair, at least for where it was at the time.

That said, even though I haven't been back, the food was really a revelatory experience for me at the time. There's no other place with that kind of precision in Baltimore. Not really even close.

Brewer's Art is a fun bar, good beer, and the food is well-executed. I like it. But to say it's hands-down the best restaurant in Baltimore is, well, really stretching things.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i pretty much prefer to dick around with my friend and try out new places. Might try my luck at Black Olive if it isn't far out my driving path. Loving the recommendations, I used to type baltimore in the search engine but it only brings back a few worthwhile posts.

Gberez

Reaction score
Talara in harbor east about a block from Charleston. moderately priced civiche and Peruvian. Trendy spot and the food is well prepared. go for the "fire and ice w/ yellow tail", "Asian TarTar with tuna" "goat cheese croquet" and the "chimichurry pork" those are my personal fav's but everything on the menu is great.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We ended up eating at the aforementioned Talara and Woodberry Kitchen. Talara is practically a sports bar in terms of atmosphere, but their ceviches are well executed.

We enjoyed our meal at Woodberry Kitchen, but felt it failed to live up to the hype. That said, If we were locals, we'd definitely give it another try.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Revitalizing this thread. I've been to Black Olive and would recommend it. The olive bread is out of this world, and you do get to choose your fish which is pretty authentic. They use a lot of fresh ingredients, which they're happy to grill plain for you if you're not wanting too much spice or oils.

I'm checking out Pabu tonight, which is this Japanese/small plates restaurant at the Four Seasons. I've heard good things, and one would think Baltimore Harbor would be able to execute good Japanese.

Woodbury Kitchen is definitely on my list. A little difficult to get a convenient reservation, however.

I'm an Indian food fan, too, does Baltimore have anything up that route where they're amenable to no ghee/oil requests?

Last edited:

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
woodberry, samos (greek), babas (greek), nam kang (korean bbq), iggies (pizza, although I've yet to explore little italy's pizza offerings) are my favorites.

Wackadoodle

Reaction score
Second Brewer's Art. Though I think the bar menu is better than the dining room one, and the bar is almost ALWAYS packed, it's genuinely good food and beer all around.

Never got a chance to eat at Nam Kang, I went to Jung Kak which is right around the corner. Very good.

If you like chicken wings, and you like them spicy, check out iBar. I miss that place so much.

Hampden is the spot at the moment for fancy style food.French-style anything goes at The Corner. The Food Market is a new place opened by the folks at Woodberry, and 13.5% has really good small plates and sazeracs.

Baltimore is really bad for pizza. Iggie's has good artisanal style pizza and is BYOB but it's packed on the weekends. Brick Oven Pizza was the only decent, "ordinary" slice of pizza I had in Baltimore but it's in Fells Point which is a nightmare to park in under at the best of times.

Best Indian I had was at Kumari which is Nepali/Indian. I used to get the Bhel Bhuri, tandoori chicken and chicken momos, delicious and almost no oil.

Last edited:

lidunchaa

Reaction score
It say it's hands-down the best restaurant in Baltimore is, well, really stretching things.
4.gif

Last edited:

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When at Woodberry- get what they are best at- the house-cured meats and small plates- let them just keep throwing platters at you with whatever the kitchen is in the mood for and :)

AlvaChrish

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hmailton Tavern
Zorba's pizza
City cafe
The brewer's art
Koco's pub
these few Baltimore restaurant with good ambiance and food

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads