• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balmorals vs. bluchers

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A debate in another thread about the propriety of wearing cap-toe balmorals with a sportscoat got me thinking. Â Do you try to match the formality of a shoe with the formality of an outfit (i.e., balmoral with suit and blucher with sportscoat/more informal wear)? Â Or is this just overthinking the process of getting dressed?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This would be overthinking in the States.

Most people don't even register the difference between a Bal and a Blucher.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I disagree. I always choose my shoes along these lines. That's the main point in buying pairs of shoes in different styles.

kidkim2

Reaction score
The texture of the leather is, IMHO, a much more important formality issue than the bal/blucher distinction.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll agree that bals give some touch that bluchers don't, and vice versa, but I disagreed with the post re: no captoes with odd jackets, and I disagree that bluchers should be reserved for non-suiting. I'm wearing Alden dark brown cap-toe bluchers right now with mid-grey flat-front flannels and a cashmere sweater with a dress shirt underneath, and I don't think my choice is inappropriate.

That said, I wish I had more bals on my shoe rack -- I only have one pair (my Grensons), as I pay more attention to other things when looking for shoes (and since I buy at discount, I can't have everything usually).

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish i had the option. I need more shoes :sigh:, but when i am shoe shopping i usually end up with bluchers because i have a narrow foot and its hard to find B's and C's around here so with a D or M the blucher fits a little bit tighter on me.

FCS

Reaction score
Eh, in my experience the balmorals are usually tighter. With the blucher you can better adjust the tightness of the lacing.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish i had the option.  I need more shoes :sigh:, but when i am shoe shopping i usually end up with bluchers because i have a narrow foot and its hard to find B's and C's around here so with a D or M the blucher fits a little bit tighter on me.
I usually end up with bluchers for the opposite reason - I apparently have an higher than normal instep, so getting the bal's laced up is a pain, whereas the bluchers are easier to expand (or, in your case, contract) to fit.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The texture of the leather is, IMHO, a much more important formality issue than the bal/blucher distinction.
I wouldn't wear the suede balmoral with a dark double-breasted suit (see today's post from Renault about his fitting questions)-black without the medallion would be better. And I wouldn't wear any balmoral with a sportjacket (maybe suede with a navy blazer but not black). Bluchers or loafers (tassel slightly more formal than penny and black more formal than either cordovan or suede) seem better with a blazer or sportjacket. If the jacket is very informal (i.e. not a navy blazer), then penny loafers even with a tie seem appropriate. That said, I'd wear black balmorals with a db blazer. It's getting confusing, so I'll stop. Footnotes tomorrow.

kidkim2

Reaction score
demeis--

If you don't object to wearing used shoes (I don't), eBay could change your footwear life. It did mine, and I have much narrower feet than yours. Keep your eyes open; the auction site can yield unexpected treasure.

I have been able to pick up two pairs of vintage Italian-made J&M tassel kilties, medium brown captoes, garden-variety brown tassel loafers, penny loafers (too tight, however), and handmade cowboy boots. (What I'll do with the latter is a mystery even to me.)

Also try AE and Alden. They both have a wide range of sizes and widths in bals (and just about everything else).

Avuncular advice from a 13AA. . . .

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It's something I would take into consideration but generally it's not something I get too worked up about. I now have the option to choose between my cognac Grenson bals and my chestnut Allen-Edmonds derbys (Lexingtons), which is nice. In black I only have derbys: Alden captoes and Coach plain toe. Clearly I'm in need of black oxfords...
lookaround.gif

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
demeis--

If you don't object to wearing used shoes (I don't), eBay could change your footwear life.  It did mine, and I have much narrower feet than yours.  Keep your eyes open; the auction site can yield unexpected treasure.  

I have been able to pick up two pairs of vintage Italian-made J&M tassel kilties, medium brown captoes, garden-variety brown tassel loafers, penny loafers (too tight, however), and handmade cowboy boots.  (What I'll do with the latter is a mystery even to me.)

Also try AE and Alden.  They both have a wide range of sizes and widths in bals (and just about everything else).

Avuncular advice from  a 13AA. . . .
Acutally as i'm reading this i'm looking at shoes on ebay. I just picked up a pair of AE medalion wing tips for $20. My first shot at used shoes and hoping it goes well. Its just i don't have black shoes now and i'm super impatient (really want some more grensons to come in), but until then i'm gonna keep my eye on ebay.

kidkim2

Reaction score
demeis--

A hearty "Well done." Keep us informed of your experience. Hope the $20 (.) shoes work out as well as mine have.

Mike

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(kidkim2 @ 05 Jan. 2005, 1:54) The texture of the leather is, IMHO, a much more important formality issue than the bal/blucher distinction.
I wouldn't wear the suede balmoral with a dark double-breasted suit (see today's post from Renault about his fitting questions)-black without the medallion would be better. And I wouldn't wear any balmoral with a sportjacket (maybe suede with a navy blazer but not black). Bluchers or loafers (tassel slightly more formal than penny and black more formal than either cordovan or suede) seem better with a blazer or sportjacket. If the jacket is very informal (i.e. not a navy blazer), then penny loafers even with a tie seem appropriate. That said, I'd wear black balmorals with a db blazer. It's getting confusing, so I'll stop. Footnotes tomorrow.
Really, you wouldn't pair a pair of medium brown cap-toe Balmorals with a sportcoat?

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's essentially a dress shoe, IMO. So if you dress up a blazer with a spread collar shirt, then OK to a brown leather balmoral (especially if suede or pebbled grain and not shiny and smooth). But I'd say not with a more casual jacket (say a herringbone or cashmere plaid which usually takes a button-down). My balmorals are all black, so I haven't had the temptation. My own sportcoat shoes are all Alden loafers (tassel and penny; brown suede, black and shell cordovan). All opinion without much evidence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads