• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balmoral /Oxford Tapering Cap Toe Buying Advice!

classics

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been following the forum for sometime and this is the very first time I am posting.

I want to buy a classic Balmoral Black Interview Shoe, the obvious choice is the AE Park Avenue, however I don't like the roundish toe of this shoe. I would rather prefer a Balmoral shoe with a tapering toe much like the C&J Hallam or similar.

Kindly answer my queries:
  • Is C&J Hallam (type) of shoe made by Allen Edmonds or any other american brand with goodyear welt construction?
  • Is the Hallam or similar tapering cap toe Balmoral appropriate for an Interview?
  • Can I find a C&J Hallam type of shoe in Allen Edmonds Price range i-e $300-$350?

Looking forward to your replies,

Thanks.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could find something under $300 that LOOKS like the Hallam but it would be far lower in quality. I wouldn't spend too much on a pair of shoes that you'll use just for interviews anyway. I also think the Hallam is a little too sleek for interviews.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wouldn't spend too much on a pair of shoes that you'll use just for interviews anyway.

black captoe bal is a staple in the anglo-american world. so money is not lost, imo.

@op: sorry, no alternatives to offer.

classics

Reaction score
The shoes will definitely be used with suits after the interviews!

classics

Reaction score
hmm.........

I guess there aren't a lot of options.

I was browsing for different shoes and the following came up:

None of the above shoes in my opinion are any where near the quality of an AE P.Avenue.

It brings me to another question that is, what are your views about wearing a Derby/Blucher for an important interview ? As the shoe will be in used afterwards.

My ideal shoe still is a classic tapering toe Black Balmoral, upto a price of around $400. This is my first quality leather shoe purchase that is why I am trying hard as the pair of shoes will be for long term use!

If Allen Edmonds / Alden et al offered a shoe which fits my criteria I wouldn't blink before buying them!

Thanks

mcbrown

Reaction score
Alden does also make a black captoe balmoral...

http://www.aldenshoes.com/Store/DrawProducts.aspx?CategoryID=37&ParentID=88&PageID=&Action=

Edit: I see you are looking for something with a less rounded toe. Don't know what to tell you... other than that as someone who regularly interviews inexperienced hires (I'm assuming you fall into this category, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this specific question in this way) I have yet to give any positive or negative weight to a candidate's shoes, provided they aren't sneakers. And I'm quite sure I care at least as much about shoes as anyone likely to interview you.

You have identified your problem already - you don't like the appearance of the shoes whose quality you appreciate, and you don't like the quality of shoes that are more to your taste. It's up to you how you make that tradeoff - your interviewers won't care. At your age I would say when in doubt choose the cheapest option - it gives you more freedom to change your mind later. Good luck, and as always YMMV.

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could probably find the Hallam as a second for ¢400.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Alden black captoe is a good choice. If I'm not mistaken, the Hampton last is sleeker than PA's 5 last (but no where near Hallam level).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads