Balmoral boots with a suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MalfordOfLondon, Jan 19, 2010.

1. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

I've just bought a very dark navy RLBL Anthony suit. There's little call for me to wear suits these days and as such - footwear to match is a bit light. I like really dark browns with dark navy suits and the only very dark browns I have at the moment are a pair of C&J Balmoral Boots.

What's the general consensus on wearing bal boots with a suit?

2. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

I've just bought a very dark navy RLBL Anthony suit. There's little call for me to wear suits these days and as such - footwear to match is a bit light. I like really dark browns with dark navy suits and the only very dark browns I have at the moment are a pair of C&J Balmoral Boots.

Which model of C&J boot? Suits are the ONLY thing I would wear balmoral boots with. Oh, and formal wear if the boots are appropriately coloured.

Stuart

3. MalfordOfLondon

Which model of C&J boot? Suits are the ONLY thing I would wear balmoral boots with. Oh, and formal wear if the boots are appropriately coloured. Stuart
    They're the C&J Avebury. I've worn them with flannel before. I suppose it's just I'm programmed into thinking only shoes are acceptable for suits. Don't ask me why. Edit: Image here: [​IMG]

4. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

I was always under the impression that wearing boots with a suit is fine. Hence the old term 'suited and booted'.

5. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

They're the C&J Avebury. I've worn them with flannel before. I suppose it's just I'm programmed into thinking only shoes are acceptable for suits. Don't ask me why.

Edit: Image here:
    [​IMG]

Those are beautiful. If you don't mind wearing brown with city suits, they are perfect.

6. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I was always under the impression that wearing boots with a suit is fine. Hence the old term 'suited and booted'.
    Actually that is a contraction of 'Wear balmorals with a suit and make every observer boot".[​IMG]

7. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

Apparently boots were the original dressy footwear. Balmoral boots existed before oxford shoes. Oxford shoes were created as a more casual alternative [​IMG]

8. MalfordOfLondon

I'm not sure why I've always thought that suits and boots don't really go together. I'm sure it looks fine and is completely acceptable but you never really see it "out in the wild" in London.

Also maybe I'm wondering if those boots would go well with the slightly contemporary cut of the RL Anthony.

9. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

I'm not sure why I've always thought that suits and boots don't really go together. I'm sure it looks fine and is completely acceptable but you never really see it "out in the wild" in London.

Also maybe I'm wondering if those boots would go well with the slightly contemporary cut of the RL Anthony.

Trust me: the only obstacle to wearing those boots with any city suit (regardless of cut) is the brown colour. I don't like wearing brown with city suits, and you're not really supposed to. Especially in London.

But if you would otherwise wear brown oxford shoes with the suit, those boots are a step up in style and formality. I would love a pair.

Stuart

10. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Actually that is a contraction of 'Wear balmorals with a suit and make every observer boot".[​IMG]

Urban dictionary's entry on 'suited and booted' [​IMG]

11. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Urban dictionary's entry on 'suited and booted' [​IMG]
    By that definition, I should be wearing them [​IMG]

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Perfect combo. I have a similar styled bal boot from Rider that I wear only with suits.

13. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

14. centrix

centrix Senior member

looks good

15. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Gorgeous boots and perfectly acceptable with a suit unless you're in a situation when only black would do.