• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To give a visual example of what I consider as informal balmoral boot - today I’m wearing my Meermins paired with jeans. In my opinion this combination looks quite good. Am I wrong?

View attachment 861323

View attachment 861325

View attachment 861324

Not feelin' it. That type of configuration would work much better as a derby boot. The shoe universe is filled with outstanding examples of brown derby boots that work well dressed up to sportcoat level, or dressed down to (if you must) jeans. Trying to make a dress boot more casual seems like a pointless (and not terribly successful) exercise to me.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG you broke the sacred rule for which there can BE NO POSSIBLE EXECPTION! it's quite simple, you know. :bounce2:

Just kidding of course, that looks good. I bet 99.9999% of the population would agree.

How fortunate for us that we have someone here who can speak for the whole planet. No need for further expressions of opinions by anyone, I guess.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Not feelin' it. That type of configuration would work much better as a derby boot.
Fair enough. Let's agree to disagre then :) BTW I would love to have some derby boots in lama calf... but shoes made of this leather for some reason are rarely seen in RTW. I think besides Meermin I saw only a few models of Carmina and Bonafe in this leather. Wonder why as it looks really nice and it is very soft and comfortable...

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had never seen navy footwear I liked, until now. Thank you for this post and any further pictures will be appreciated!

Thank you. I used to be of the view that dress footwear in navy was pretty "out there" but I now regard it as a foundational staple. My navy dress shoes and boots see a TON of wear. A few more pics for you of the Vass pair in navy museum / navy grain.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

If only I had a pair of jeans for an appropriate pairing. :cool:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Let's agree to disagre then :) BTW I would love to have some derby boots in lama calf... but shoes made of this leather for some reason are rarely seen in RTW. I think besides Meermin I saw only a few models of Carmina and Bonafe in this leather. Wonder why as it looks really nice and it is very soft and comfortable...

A textured chukka is high on my want list as well. I've seen the G&G Arran in kudu and it is very drool-worthy. Here is a Thorpe in the same material so you get the idea.

orig.jpg

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
A textured chukka is high on my want list as well. I've seen the G&G Arran in kudu and it is very drool-worthy. Here is a Thorpe in the same material so you get the idea.
Yeah, kudu leather looks great (and these Thorpe boots looks just stunning!). I have some parts of my briefcase (like handle, pockets inside) made of this leather and it is lovely indeed. I'm highly considering some Tricker's boots from their latest collection as they have some models in kudu.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again it's personal preference should you deviate the guidelines. It's like wearing more than one set of stripes. The grain is more casual than a smooth calf; however, if I saw a grain balmoral boot and grain blucher boot, in my eyes, the latter is more consistent. Both will look good to anyone walking pass you.

There may be other discussions about turn-up jeans with dress boots but that's another thread. :nest:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I used to be of the view that dress footwear in navy was pretty "out there" but I now regard it as a foundational staple. My navy dress shoes and boots see a TON of wear. A few more pics for you of the Vass pair in navy museum / navy grain.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Beautiful stuff. These appear black to my eye, but with extra depth - the midnight blue of dinner jackets, the ice blue "whiter than white" of shirts. I've attempted this effect by shining my black shoes exclusively with navy but that doesn't seem to make a difference. The contrast between the grain leather in the non-mirror finished part, and the smooth leather of the toe; and the more dramatic chisel toe add to the dressiness and therefore "black" impression.

As far as casual wear is concerned, whilst I personally avoid wearing jeans, I think material and colour matter more than shape for all but 0.1% of people you meet (perhaps a bit higher in big Anglo cities, lower, perhaps none in less urban locations). If the boot is brown, of a textured leather, and especially with a non-standard sole, very few are going to notice that it is a balmoral. My dark brown grain leather monks feel informal even with chinos, and mirror finishing the hard parts has only mildly reduced that impression.

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well if your question is whether the boots below would be made "less formal" in any meaningful sense by the addition of horizontal borgueing, then my answer is no, they would not.

orig.jpg

You seem to flirting with features you don't really like. First you want a calf upper with a suede shaft, but don't want the suede to show. Now you want brogueing on the toe cap, but find horizontal brogueing less "clean". Seems to me that what would really make you happy is a balmoral boot crafted from a single medium, in a single colour, without brogueing of any kind.

Roger// I mentioned it earlier, your Carmina suede are inspiring. After your post in the Carmina forum I had to go MTO myself for a pair. Change for the Rain last though.

Recently visit Budapest and actually came out from the Vass store with a pair of balmoral ankle boots on U last. In navy. Not what I had in mind, rather MTO balmoral boots in burgundy, but long term plans and I kind of contradicts each other. Navy are underrated.

View attachment 860950 GG vintage cherry calf & vintage cherry suede iguana. Breaking them in at home pants are hiked up !! View attachment 860948 Vass blue on blue suede/calf combo

Ttown// Vass blue on blue and GG vintage cherry are just great. Always a pleasure to take part of your creations.

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new boots / MTO order. Fine choices, both.

Thank you for the Carmina inspiration and feedback. Navy dress shoes/boots to go with grey trouser and navy coat are staple for real.

youtubs

Reaction score

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Beautiful. I have a similar pair by Enzo Bonafe. Navy balmoral boot with eyelets. Some people don't like balmoral boots with eyelets, but I thought they looked great.

mirinjobra

Reaction score
I ended up not doing the MTO for the carmina balmorals, but now I have a change of heart.

All I want is a sleek balmoral with dainite soles - full black leather, and full brown leather with a quarter brogue. Anyone know where I can buy these? I checked carmina but the forest last balmoral does not seem sleek, unless I am mistaken.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not many decent brown balmoral options with Dainite soles out there at the moment. Considering the design-your-own option Carmina offers, but I'm a bit skeptical about spending more than €600 on shoes.

On the subject of formality: I wear semi-brogued oxfords with jeans all the time. Balmorals offer essentially the same aesthetic, so I don't see why they should be treated differently. Plain cap-toes are a no-go, of course.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
Not many decent brown balmoral options with Dainite soles out there at the moment. Considering the design-your-own option Carmina offers, but I'm a bit skeptical about spending more than €600 on shoes.
Go for Vass, something around 550 EUR for MTO (shoe trees included in price)...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads