• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I'm sure the historians are on your side, and that the boot police would have their way with me, but my Shannons (and all other Oxford boots) will be one mono-hide.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I must confess to being rather partial to the tradition of having a different hide/fabric for the upper.

......3.jpg

This example is from Dimitri Gomez but the Germans and Austrians call buttons boots Gamaschenstiefeletten - which literally means a spat boot. I guess the contrasting tops do look like spats. I really like the effect myself.

Here's another Gomez creation:

balmoral.jpg

Fabric uppers like this also make them more comfortable. I did toy with the idea of choosing velvet uppers myself.

ABALO

Reaction score
^^^ T4Phage, gorgeous boots... Really nice, and I especially like the same stitching used for the captoe and the upper limit... Did you ask for this ?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I must confess to being rather partial to the tradition of having a different hide/fabric for the upper.

This example is from Dimitri Gomez but the Germans and Austrians call buttons boots Gamaschenstiefeletten - which literally means a spat boot. I guess the contrasting tops do look like spats. I really like the effect myself.

Fabric uppers like this also make them more comfortable. I did toy with the idea of choosing velvet uppers myself.

Beautiful examples all, Sator. I do like the look of them but I fear that I would shy away from wearing them. Though the idea of suede uppers does sound like it would greatly ease the break-in period and add overall comfort.

I went with Shannon II in edwardian on the 82 last and Shannon I in coffee suede on the 82.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ABALO
^^^ T4Phage, gorgeous boots... Really nice, and I especially like the same stitching used for the captoe and the upper limit... Did you ask for this ?

Thanks. Do you mean the serrated edge? That is a standard feature on the Shannon 2.

ABALO

Reaction score
OK I got it. Thanks.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are some of the nicest shoes I have eveer seen on this thread! Go on, gimme more!

ABALO

Reaction score
Would these Shannon on a 888 last be an heresy ?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ABALO
Would these Shannon on a 888 last be an heresy ?

Not at all, but I like this boot with a round toe. And if you have a long foot they could get quite pointy on the 888.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Beautiful examples all, Sator. I do like the look of them but I fear that I would shy away from wearing them. Though the idea of suede uppers does sound like it would greatly ease the break-in period and add overall comfort.

I went with Shannon II in edwardian on the 82 last and Shannon I in coffee suede on the 82.

I look forward to seeing the finished results.

I made my uppers a dark blue-grey to make the contrast inconspicuous and the effect subtle. I also considered a dark oak upper with a black base. Having the uppers concealed by trouser hems also tones them down. I also shied away from having a strong contrast to the uppers for the reason you mention, when it really does look like you are wearing spats.

After much deliberation I am going to have a pair of Shannon IIs made in a C width on the old 88 last in black box calf with a black suede upper. I decided that velvet is a bit too delicate to take years of being pulled by the laces and EGs suedes are a bit softer than their box calf.

The result should be an Oxford boot equivalent of this sort of thing from Otsuka:

102-m1.jpg

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing the finished results.

After much deliberation I am going to have a pair of Shannon IIs made in a C width on the old 88 last in black box calf with a black suede upper. I decided that velvet is a bit too delicate to take years of being pulled by the laces and EGs suedes are a bit softer than their box calf.

The result should be an Oxford boot equivalent of this sort of thing from Otsuka:

102-m1.jpg

Thanks, they will hopefully be ready by September.

Your Shannons sound great. I love the 88 last. I have a pair of the old Berkleys in dark oak on it and I wear them all the time.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
Wow, quite a few Bals.

Here is my Shannon2 which I got a few months ago, in dark oak and mink suede:
p1040081in4.jpg

Dear lord. That is one, if not THE most beautiful boot I've ever seen. This just got moved to the top of my EG MTO list. Good work!!!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
......3.jpg

Gamasche = spat
stiefelette = half boot

Please remove the hooks. You are not a toddler.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads