• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bally ?

seanandnik

Reaction score
I have a few pairs of Bally loafers and really like them, but i have never seen them mentioned here , why ? their quality seems good, no ?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have three pairs of their shoes and I like them all. Their quality seems really good, at least on the ones with the stamped label as opposed to the sewn in label. The styling is very hit-or-miss though. Most of their designs are much too delicate looking for my taste.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If I recall correct, Bally was bought out by J. Crew. Then, they closed tons of their stores (at least here in Florida) and thus their products are not as easy to get as they previously were. Without easily available sources, I am not sure many people on the forum still purchase many of their products, thus one possibility why they are not often topics of conversation.

Jon.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a couple pairs of Bally plaintoe lambskin laceups and I use them as everyday business wear. They are pretty nice looking and unbelievably comfortable.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bally and J. Crew are both owned by Texas Pacific Group, which owns many companies.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
AAAH. TPG... Make it stop...

I've owned 4 pairs of Bally or so. I'm kind of disappointed in the quality, frankly. The sole seems to be coming apart from the upper on a pair of boots I've hardly used much. All in all, they use nice soft leathers but the durability isn't up to much IMHO...

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAAAH. TPG... Make it stop...

I've owned 4 pairs of Bally or so.  I'm kind of disappointed in the quality, frankly.  The sole seems to be coming apart from the upper on a pair of boots I've hardly used much.  All in all, they use nice soft leathers but the durability isn't up to much IMHO...
I agree with RJman. All the Ballys I've seen since the takeover seem to be substandard quality. Since the takeover, they had even closed down the original factory making the Scribe shoes, production was moved elsewhere for cost cutting reasons.

MikeF

Reaction score
I think that when one talks about Bally shoes, one needs to distinguish the licensed products - featuring a sewn-in label - to the "true" Bally line, which has an insole stamped "Bally" and nothing more. I find that the latter products are very, very comfortable and quite well made. They're no Edward Greens, but I'll take them over Ferragamo any day (for styling reasons, as well).

HitMan009

Reaction score
I have a pair of Bally monk straps gotten 4 years ago. It is quite possibly my most comfortable shoes... even more comfortable then sneakers I would say. However, the sole is coming off but that might be because I didn't know how to care for shoes when I got them. Getting caught in the heavy rain probably didn't help either. Extremely soft uppers but it is a rubber soled shoe. Again, back before StyleForum.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My lambskin plaintoes have been in my wardrobe for about 2 years and I've worn them about 100 times and they are in nearly perfect condition outside of some scuffs on the leather sole and a bit of creasing on the upper (obviously pretty common with as soft a leather as lambskin) but they have held up perfectly otherwise. They are the regular Bally line with the stamped insole, not the sewn in label

mxb95

Reaction score
Since 2000, I've had a pair of Bally monkstraps in brown pebble-grain with rubber sole. This pair has performed well as a foul weather shoe and shows little wear despite regular use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads