• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bally

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wish to ask a question regarding the shoes of Bally. The other day I saw a pair that was quite attractive in a model called Ravino. They are in black, leather soled, and a toe that is somewhat similar in design to Gucci with a wide part, and then narrowing to a point that is not quite a point.

Also how is the qua;ity compared to say, Ferragamo or Magli? The ones I saw were Bally's better models not the sport or such.

Thank you

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with Bally, and I bought 2 pairs last year, was mixed. I love, love, love the leather and the styling. I have a pair of black loafers that are incredibly soft and supple and look really cool. I also own a pair of brown semi-brouges that I bought for $50 at an outlet.

They are amazingly comfortable as well. But, they aren't very durable. The loafers have a thin leather sole and I wore holes in it after a year of use, and I only use shoes once a week at a maximum. I got them resoled, but now they are painfully uncomfortable. It feels like stepping on a tennis ball with the middle of my foot every time I step down. A real shame. The semi-brouges are holding up well, but I have scaled back my use of them owing to what happened with the loafers.

MikeF

Reaction score
Bally seems to have several lines. Stay away from Bally shoes with a tag sewn into the insole -- they are not of the finest quality. The rest seem to be outstanding (they're not John Lobb, mind you, but they're not Ferragamo either). I've had no durability problems.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pair I saw had the name Bally embossed into the leather lining inside, and on the bottom leather sole as well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The loafers have a thin leather sole and I wore holes in it after a year of use, and I only use shoes once a week at a maximum.
Was this the Havana loafer (which looks and feels like a slipper)?  I have a pair in brown, and soon realized after taking a few steps outdoors that it is meant to be worn around the house or while driving a car.

My experience with Bally has been mixed.  Last year, I bought a pair of black plain-toe oxfords.  The tip of the outsole of one of the shoes began peeling away from the shoe after a few wearings -- not something one would expect from a $370 shoe (which granted I bought for around $180).  I took the shoes back the store for repair, and a few months later, received them back with reinforced tips.  I haven't had any problems since.  In my opinion, the leather is of pretty high quality, and comparable to Magli.  I can't comment on how it compares to Ferragamo, because I don't own any Ferragamos.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C: I don't know if they are the havana style or not. They are almost a penny style loafer with a strap of leather across the top and a notch as in a penny hole. It's a damn shame because they are the best pair of shoes I've ever worn, comfort wise. You are right about the leathers, they are fabulous.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads