• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bally

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wish to ask a question regarding the shoes of Bally. The other day I saw a pair that was quite attractive in a model called Ravino. They are in black, leather soled, and a toe that is somewhat similar in design to Gucci with a wide part, and then narrowing to a point that is not quite a point.

Also how is the qua;ity compared to say, Ferragamo or Magli? The ones I saw were Bally's better models not the sport or such.

Thank you

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My experience with Bally, and I bought 2 pairs last year, was mixed. I love, love, love the leather and the styling. I have a pair of black loafers that are incredibly soft and supple and look really cool. I also own a pair of brown semi-brouges that I bought for $50 at an outlet.

They are amazingly comfortable as well. But, they aren't very durable. The loafers have a thin leather sole and I wore holes in it after a year of use, and I only use shoes once a week at a maximum. I got them resoled, but now they are painfully uncomfortable. It feels like stepping on a tennis ball with the middle of my foot every time I step down. A real shame. The semi-brouges are holding up well, but I have scaled back my use of them owing to what happened with the loafers.

MikeF

Reaction score
Bally seems to have several lines. Stay away from Bally shoes with a tag sewn into the insole -- they are not of the finest quality. The rest seem to be outstanding (they're not John Lobb, mind you, but they're not Ferragamo either). I've had no durability problems.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The pair I saw had the name Bally embossed into the leather lining inside, and on the bottom leather sole as well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The loafers have a thin leather sole and I wore holes in it after a year of use, and I only use shoes once a week at a maximum.
Was this the Havana loafer (which looks and feels like a slipper)?  I have a pair in brown, and soon realized after taking a few steps outdoors that it is meant to be worn around the house or while driving a car.

My experience with Bally has been mixed.  Last year, I bought a pair of black plain-toe oxfords.  The tip of the outsole of one of the shoes began peeling away from the shoe after a few wearings -- not something one would expect from a $370 shoe (which granted I bought for around $180).  I took the shoes back the store for repair, and a few months later, received them back with reinforced tips.  I haven't had any problems since.  In my opinion, the leather is of pretty high quality, and comparable to Magli.  I can't comment on how it compares to Ferragamo, because I don't own any Ferragamos.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C: I don't know if they are the havana style or not. They are almost a penny style loafer with a strap of leather across the top and a notch as in a penny hole. It's a damn shame because they are the best pair of shoes I've ever worn, comfort wise. You are right about the leathers, they are fabulous.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy