• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balls of foot. Shoe fit (AE). Photos for evaluation.

hombreingwar

Reaction score
Could you please help me evaluate the shoes fit. First pairs of real dress shoes ever. 10D PA and 9.5E Strands.
Strangs less tight at pinkie toe, but have a little room at a heel (not slipping).

10D PA vs 9.5E Strands (pen marks balls of foot).

Thanks!!!

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
instep girth favors the strand. check which one fits your arch better.

+1 on this. That's the only thing that jumped out at me. Those are both nice shoes though. Enjoy.

hombreingwar

Reaction score
Thank you!

For 10D PA I was measured at AE store, and SA didn't tell anything about huge vamp V.

At home I noticed that it's somewhat tight at small toes, but no pain, and having 0 experiences with dress shoes, I decided to try wider shoes and to down compenstate go shorter 9.5E (my regular size is 10D, and judging what people say for last #5 it totally made sense).

But 9.5E turned out to be the same width at toes like 10D, but just wider at heel and vamp.

It feels like I'm between 10D and 9.5E on last #5. I read quite a few topics on "V" yesterday. It seems like on 9.5E strands, quarters are too close considering leather stretches (that's what people say).

I believe I tried 10.5D, and they were roomier then needed. I also got Delray 10D, and that beast is roomy everywhere (vamp, instep, heel), except much needed toe box width.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, 10D and 9.5E has the same sole width. That's the standard in shoe industry sizing.

You might want to try a few pairs of 9.5E because AE do have a pretty wide variance of manufacturing. 9.5EE will probably be too wide for you at the heel so fix that with heel pads. Or find a better last that fits your feet.

If its somewhat tight at the small toe and you have NO wiggle room, better size up in width. It won't be better and cap toes have less give and harder to fit.

hombreingwar

Reaction score
Thank you! Really valuable info.

I actually thought I'd have to try 10.5D again. Hoping that it would give more for a small toe, but still snug at the heel.

9.5EE sounds like a rare size, and I never considered myself out of 10D average. Though judging by many posts I read, sounded like lots of folks
wear incorrect size.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
This is quite helpful - I didn't know that (in my case) an 11.5D would be the same sold width as an 11E. I have a pair of Hastings (5 last) which are an 11.5D. They fit well except they are a bit tight by my pinky. I've tried on Strands in an 11.5D which feel just as tight (maybe a hair tighter). So, I purchased a pair of Strands in an 11.5E which fit perfectly width-wide, however, they feel a bit loose everywhere else. I was considering purchasing an 11E next time (bourbon Strands?) but this apparently won't solve the issue. Perhaps my size in the 5 last is indeed an 11.5E. Loving both shoes by the way. I don't think the Hastings are too popular but I love them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads