1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Balenciaga - some help?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Brian SD, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Anyone know how long Balenciaga has been making menswear? I just came across a blazer that looks pretty nice, but I'm afraid it is going to be too old and have that disctinctively 80s look in person (shoulders too padded, button stance too low).

Anyone have some help to offer? I assume Labelking would know a thing or two about this.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Balenciaga *licensed* menswear has been around forever. The (super) slim fitting designer mens line (featuring a distinctively military feel, and nearly exclusive use of washed stretch cotton twill, with some exceptions) designed by Nicholas Ghesquiere has been around for about 4 years (+/-1). The labeling in this designer line is a simple black label with black block (capitalized) lettering which simply reads: Balenciaga. The stuff is on the high end of expensive, and the tightest fit of all times. I am not a big guy, 5'11" and 165-168 lbs, and a 42 or extra large barely fits me.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Excellent, thanks. The jacket I am looking at is a Nicholas Ghesquiere design, so it can't be that old. I noticed that it is very slim fitting, the size 38 has the same specs as my size 36 Jil Sander.

4. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

That's a very nice looking jacket. It's strange that the label is located on the back by the neck (like on women's suits) rather than on the inside chest of the jacket.

The button stance does look quite low.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Yea, I emailed the seller to ask for the measurement from the top of the neck to the top button, and also asked how the shoulder padding is. I think the button stance may appear lower in the image because of how the jacket is hanging, but I'll find out for sure when they get back to me. The description made it sound like they are very willing to communicate and take extra measurements.

6. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

It's good the seller is willing to take the measurments. I sell frequently on ebay, and always respond to emails as a seller, and am happy to take extra measurments/photos for the bidders.

However, the thing that really gets me as a buyer is when the seller doesn't have the courtesy to respond to emails, or even worse, "doesn't have the time" to take additional measurments. I've passed up some good deals from sellers based solely on their rudeness to my emails.

Looking at the picture again, I think you're right about the stance having to do with how the jacket is hanging.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I hate it when sellers don't respond to you asking for measurements. It's like they think that you'll buy it either way, but if a seller doesn't respond to my inquiry, I will never buy it.