• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balancing your wardrobe

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My job keeps me in MC-lite (the business side of business-casual) Monday-Fri. I'm not what you would consider fashionably adventurous, but I would like to spice up my weekend wear. As the father of a newborn, I don't go out all that often, so I'm having a hard time justifying spending any real money on my "play clothes". As a result, I'm developing the closet of a 45 year old.

How do you stay balanced?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
My job keeps me in MC-lite (the business side of business-casual) Monday-Fri. I'm not what you would consider fashionably adventurous, but I would like to spice up my weekend wear. As the father of a newborn, I don't go out all that often, so I'm having a hard time justifying spending any real money on my "play clothes". As a result, I'm developing the closet of a 45 year old.

How do you stay balanced?

I have the closet of a 45 year old, too. that's what happens when you get older.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate all these threads that are like "I have a baby. I can't justify spending all that money on clothes." You know what... you should have thought about that before you had a baby.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
I hate all these threads that are like "I have a baby. I can't justify spending all that money on clothes." You know what... you should have thought about that before you had a baby.

Thank you for your thoughtful, well-reasoned reply.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was a joke, btw, which should have been obvious.
confused.gif

Seriously though, this thread is a bit of a non-starter. What is it that you think you are asking? Most people will balance their wardrobe by having clothes that fit their various needs (i.e. a work wardrobe and a casual wardrobe) proportionally to the magnitude of the needs. You're saying you hardly go out so why spend any real money on going out clothes. Fine. So why the thread? Do you need someone who doesn't know anything about you to tell you how to spend your money?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont really understand the q. You need casual clothes for the weekend only and dont want to spend a lot of money?

If so, get one jeans and one casual trousers, four shirts and two pairs of casual shoes. What more do you need?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you provide some context? Like what do you currently wear after work or on the weekends? What do you do or like to do socially? I typically wear some old APC's and a beat up OCBD that's been retired from work. Add suede chukas, lhs cordovan loafers or springcourts and I'm done. Maybe chinos and BoO shirt for dinner with friends? Boring, yes but I'm in my 40's.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have completely moved away from an "MC casual" approach to weekends. I don't want to wear a sport coat and chukkas on saturdays. So my closet is now balanced between conservative business dress for week days and casual clothes for weekend. I like some of the more "heritage" looking stuff, which seems to square well with my advanced age, but also some well executed basics like MMM knits and sneakers, Raf or CP sneakers. I wear APC NS, KMW or N&F WG denim - mostly indigo but also grey and black. I like Geller outerwear, but also Cabourn and NDG and TOJ. I don't subscribe to one particular aesthetic, I like to mix and match - to the great despair and mockery of some SW&D kids who cannot fathom the idea of that high-top sneakers don't always need to have jeans tucked in it.

Does that answer your question?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads