• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balancing ease of moving locations with comfort in the home

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I'm relatively young and single, and thus mobile and move a lot, I like to keep my living quarters pretty minimalistic. Maybe I watched "Heat" too much and took "don't have anything in your life you can't walk out on in 5 seconds flat" too seriously. I really don't like moving tons of furniture and whatnot every few years.

But, my gf (and others) has complained about my minimalistic living arrangements. For example, I still use the small free metal frame that came with my mattress and boxsprings. I don't have an actual dresser. I don't have a dining room table and chairs. Etc. I just don't see the need for a lot of it. She would prefer that I have some of these things.

So, how do you balance minimalism with "comfort"?

greenleaflettuce

Reaction score
Just don't buy anything you won't be willing to part with/dump when you get ready to move again.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, im beginning to get towards the exact opposite of your position.. Having moved around all the time during childhood, averaging 2,5 years at each place, i am now living in this apartment for 4 years and a bit, the longest ive stayed in one place for all my life.. The thing ive noticed so far is that when i kept on moving around I used to have a "showroom" house, as my friends called it. Comfortable, nicely decorated and all that, but there was nothing showing in my quarters that defined my house as "me".As i could leave it all behind in a heartbeat. Now, as ive had the opportunity to stay a bit longer in one place ive started to collect things that might not be nessecary as such, but do make my life more comfortable, and comforting.

This might seem a bit like rambling, and maybe i am, but having moved around alot I now appreciate the stuff that might make a move a lot more trouble as I could not pick up my stuff anymore and leave within a day. Minimalism is fine by my book, but make sure that you do have some stuff that make the apartment your own, otherwise you might as well live in a hotelroom..

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has a rule:
The sum total of his "important" possessions must fit in his automobile. He is prepared to walk away from whatever doesn't fit.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be like that. I don't have anything that's terribly important to me, just people.

As for furniture, it depends on budget. If you're on a tight budget and can't afford to buy new stuff every time you move, then yes, you'll be stuck being quite a minimalist.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, a very relevant thread.

I don't know what it is, but my whole life I'm had this feeling of needing a "space" that can't be taken away from me (childhood was fine, only moved once, so this can't be the issue). In college obviously I was flexible... bed, desk, clothes, that was about it.

Since graduating two years ago, I've moved five times already (women problems, sketchy landlords, etc.), and after a year in my current place, am being forced out again (landlord got divorced, wants his condo back). Unfortunately, I've accrued: bedroom furniture, desk, a lot of clothing, a full complement of kitchen hardware (from blender to pizza slicer), a small deep freeze, end tables, coffee table, armchair, futon, house plants, surfboard, snowboard, golf clubs... Jesus.

But what can you do? I need to have my stuff. Unfortunately, my stuff is a couple truck-loads full.

I've avoided some things... I don't own major appliances other than the deep freeze. I don't have a kitchen table or chairs. Everything I own is flat-pack, so I can take it apart. And I have friends who help me move.

If I were ever going overseas, well, that would be another story. I'd take half my wardrobe, my laptop, my guitar... that's about it.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A buddy of mine has a rule:
The sum total of his "important" possessions must fit in his automobile. He is prepared to walk away from whatever doesn't fit.

As an undergrad, I definitely lived by that rule. I recall moving several times, stuffing everything I had in my car. Of course, I didn't even own a bed then, and slept on the floor of whatever place I was living in.

I've slowly moved more towards the comfort end, but not too far. I now own a bed, for example.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
As an undergrad, I definitely lived by that rule. I recall moving several times, stuffing everything I had in my car.
Problem is Rodney is mid-50s and a healthcare professional. I think he's more than just a little weird with this "carload" rule of his.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a good example of my dilemma. I like wine quite a bit. But, I usually just buy what I can drink relatively quickly.

I keep looking at one of those wine fridges, but every time I do, I think "damn, that is going to suck to move" and never pull the trigger. Thus, I have no aged wines, nor do I have a collection at all.

turboman808

Reaction score
Just have to wait til you are settled down.

When I was younger I would just leave stuff. I left maybe 20 grand in furniture other the years with various girlfriends and such.

I still enjoy nice stuff but I will store at moms house if I have to.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Minimalist living sucks a lot more than having to move furniture and appliances. Just go rent a Uhaul and get it done.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is interesting because I've been having the same thoughts recently. When I was in school I had an apartment but after graduation I moved back in with my parents to save money.

Its kind of strange when I think how few objects I own. Clothes and shoes, some books and magazines, a computer, and my car. Thats it. I have friends who own fully furnished condos and I have basically nothing. I've sold off almost everything I don't use regularly.

aleeboy

Reaction score
When I was back in uni, I used to move around a lot. I think I must've moved every 6 months or so. I had a rule that I will only keep what will fit into a suitcase + my computer. Well as the months and years go by, you start noticing the amount of crap you accumulated. So moving for me was kind of like a cleansing ritual. Rid things from your life that are holding you back, or making moving a hell of a lot more difficult.

You asked about comfort... well, I used to by some furniture, be it 2nd hand or from Ikea. I would dump these or sell them on the cheap if it was too bothersome. I have been so low that I've used crates and boxes when entertaining guests at my place. Dodgy spring mattresses on the floor - I picked one up in a trade with a guy. I swapped him my pair of crutches!

Life and number of things go up when you get a girl though. But such is the circle of life... things come and go just the same.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
young+apartment you rent+ limited budget+minimalism=ikea and cb2 are your friends.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads