• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Balance on sleeves

soulstylist

Reaction score
...asking for comments...

...had a suitjacket altered - well, only the sleeves shortened by a tailor.
I'm not too happy with the result as the removed buttonhole is still visible and the length isn't really perfect perfect...

...but my most important question is: Is the jacket out of Balance with only three buttons on the sleeve or does it still look good?
I'm not really sure. It's definitelly not the number of buttons - I got some with theree, but those are spaced further appart.

My tailor just refused to put this button back on and do a new buttonhole on top of the others (no - not an option, will never use her again - never mix up business and friendships, blablabla...)

so?

anzug206007.jpg

aermel206007.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I assume those are fake buttonholes? Yes, it looks pretty odd. I think the best thing to do would be to have a buttonhole put back where the one was removed and put a button there. They will be quite close to the edge, but at least you won't have that outline showing.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not too keen on the three button waterfall. Your tailor did a terrible job on the cuffs with all that pulling and puckering. At the risk of sounding sexist, it's best to use a male tailor. Women can sew well enough but they often lack the requisite sensibilities for the job.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...problem is finding a good tailor around here at all - and I wouldn't care wether male, female neutrum or whatever...

...and - yes - to put the button back where it was would be too close to the edge. In this case it would shout out to most people 'SHORTENED' while now it shouts out to the few that look close enough '****** TAILORING'...

...and before someone asks: yes it is one of those dreaded, hard(er) to handle S150 fabrics in a micro glencheck...

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to say that it looks odd and I wouldn't wear it because I'm sure you would expect that response from anyone in this forum. I will say that I like the fabric and the lapels a lot and the overall look of the jacket. If it was mine, I would try my hardest to find a tailor that could make it wearable again...whether or not that meant sewing working button holes or whatever. Nice looking jacket.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...yeah - I like Faded501s coment better. I'm learning...
...but it is really a problem and it seems easier to find the nice jacket...

...question remains: a fourth button on top or is it ok the way it is (if I find the right tailor...)?

soulstylist

Reaction score
...more - to get a complete impression...
Martin-030607-I.jpg
Martin-030607-II.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
I'm not going to say that it looks odd and I wouldn't wear it because I'm sure you would expect that response from anyone in this forum. I will say that I like the fabric and the lapels a lot and the overall look of the jacket. If it was mine, I would try my hardest to find a tailor that could make it wearable again...whether or not that meant sewing working button holes or whatever. Nice looking jacket.

+1

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with 3 buttons on a sleeve, I see it a lot and it doesn't fase me. The problem is the button hole "remnant" at the top, and the stacked buttons appear too clustered.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...it's a suit - and a pic made with a cellphone - sorry!

...haircut next week. Promissed...

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Regardless of the sleeve issue you wear that suit very well, great look.

I had a button removed on the sleeves and you could see its outline, a session with the steamer and a little gentle manipulation of the fabric sorted it out.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a little more moisture and pressing may take away the buttonhole impression.

if you had discussed the buttonholes at the beginning there would be no problem.

the false buttonholes are made by a special machine at the factory. i do not know of a tailor who owns one. she would have to make one by hand and neither the texture or thread color would match the other three. the only solution is to remove all buttonholes and make eight new ones. the price that she charged i do not think covered doing that. thats the crux of the matter. she thinks you will refuse to pay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads