• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baklava

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a recipe for baklava? I realize that it's basically just layers of phyllo dough, and a honey/nut/date mixture, but I was curious as to whether you may have some recipes or just general advice for making it.

And yes, I know I could have looked at a recipe website, but they all seemed... uninspired when it came to this amazing dessert, and I was hoping that you may be able to help.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my mom makes it

ill ask if i can remwember

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Made it fairly frequently in college. A few tips/thoughts:

1. You'll probably have to get the frozen phyllo dough. Buy more than you need because sometimes the sheets will stick together and/or tear.

2. Once the baklava has baked, but before drizzling the delicious honey/lemon mixture on top, cut down about 3/4 of the way through the sheet in those standard baklava-sized triangles. This will help the honey drizzle down through the cracks, keeping the top layer from getting soggy and flavoring the rest of the layers.

3. My absolute favorite baklava I've had used some rose water in the honey/lemon mix. The floral taste of rose water goes wonderfully with the cinnamon-buttery-nuttiness.

4. When working with phyllo, keep the portion you are not using under a sheet of wax/parchment paper and then a moist towel. If the phyllo dries out on you, you can't layer it as you'd need.

Good luck and enjoy! You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

rxcats

Reaction score
I used to make Baklava all the time as a tween/teenager. I think some people were my "friends" just because of it. I haven't made any in probably 15 years and can't remember my favorite recipe off the top of my head. I will try to find it.

I agree with the above post regarding the drying out of the phyllo. I always make sure I keep it covered with a moist towel and work pretty quickly. My recipe called for ground walnuts with sugar and cinnamon between layers of phyllo. Each layer of phyllo was painted with clarified butter and the walnut mixture was placed every 2 or 3 layers (can't remember exactly). After assembling, I cut it into diamond shapes BEFORE cooking. This was easy to do; if you try to cut it after it comes out of the oven, there will be crumbling of the top layers. Once it was hot out of the oven, I would pour a honey syrup over it and it was delicious!!!! I need to find the recipe so I can make some!

ms244

Reaction score
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=105592

With pictures!

Send me a PM when you make some so you know where to sent it
laugh.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ingredients

* 300g unsalted butter, melted
* 500g Filo pastry
* 400g pistachio nuts

For the syrup:

* 500g Sugar
* 500ml water
* juice of 1/2 lemon

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C/gas 4. Take a 25 x 30cm baking dish and brush dish with melted butter.

2. Place one sheet of filo pastry in the bottom of the dish and brush with melted butter. Place another sheet of pastry on top and brush the top with melted butter. Repeat this until you have used half of the pastry.

3. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts.

4. Place the remaining layers of filo pastry, brushing each one with melted butter.

5. Brush the top with melted butter and cut into diamond shapes. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.

6. To make the syrup, place the sugar, water and lemon juice into a saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer for 15 minutes.

7. Pour the hot syrup over the cooled baklava.

8. Allow to cool and absorb the syrup before serving.

Zubberah

Reaction score
A well made backlava is a thing of beauty and absolutely delicious when fresh. If your only experience of backlava is one that is days or even weeks old from a cafe (and usually soaked in syrup as a result) then you are doing yourself a massive disservice.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Ingredients

* 300g unsalted butter, melted
* 500g Filo pastry
* 400g pistachio nuts

For the syrup:

* 500g Sugar
* 500ml water
* juice of 1/2 lemon

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C/gas 4. Take a 25 x 30cm baking dish and brush dish with melted butter.

2. Place one sheet of filo pastry in the bottom of the dish and brush with melted butter. Place another sheet of pastry on top and brush the top with melted butter. Repeat this until you have used half of the pastry.

3. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts.

4. Place the remaining layers of filo pastry, brushing each one with melted butter.

5. Brush the top with melted butter and cut into diamond shapes. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.

6. To make the syrup, place the sugar, water and lemon juice into a saucepan and bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring constantly. Simmer for 15 minutes.

7. Pour the hot syrup over the cooled baklava.

8. Allow to cool and absorb the syrup before serving.

Do you know the American measurements? If not, I'm sure I can find some kind of conversion chart... or just use those proportionately.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's supposed to be an amazing concentration of arab and middle-eastern restaurants in stanton. haven't visited it yet, so don't know personally.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kyle - just a 'tiny' smidgeon of rosewater, too

Treen

Reaction score
I love Baklava. It's important to bear in mind variations though: the Turkish one is sweeter and more syrupy, while one from Iran are much drier, at least in my experience.

I've tried making it before and it was an epic failure, nowhere near as nice as bought from Middle Eastern shops or, even better given to me by my Girlfriend's parents...

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
we've been hooked on this baklava at this new eatery near our home it's fantastic. a wonderful treat to eat when sipping on some coffee. pretty pricey at 2.50 for a small piece, just wondering where else i can get some good baklava in orange county? BCD?

Not a clue Sho. I rarely ever come across baklava. sorry.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Not a clue Sho. I rarely ever come across baklava. sorry.

next time youre in santa ana/costa mesa area, go to chicken maison (corner of bristol and alton, target plaza). they have good kebob meals. chicken kebob or the kafta kebob. hummus and rice.

try one baklava. eat it with a coffee in hand. i promise you, you will love it. if not, i will paypal you the meal price back refund.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads