• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bags, part 2

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bag. But not just any bag. Oh no. It must be a great bag. Greatness, in this case, is defined as being reasonably affordable, durable, and capable of carrying a 14.2" x 10.5" x 1.5" notebook. And looking good. I'm separating this from the messenger thread because while I'm open to messengers, I'm also open to backpacks and slings, and wondering if I should go with the former to avoid uneven back strain. I'm not really sure where slings like this one land in terms of the stress being healthy or not, though I imagine they can't be worse than messengers. I've been looking at this for a sleeve, but I need an actual bag for carrying it (and books and papers) in. So, get suggestin'.

Max

Reaction score
I suggest checking out the offerings from skateboard companies.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything in particular? I tend to prefer more subdued designs, so messenger (as in bike messenger) companies like Chrome and skate companies like Volcom rarely do stuff that suits me.

fortune

Reaction score
My Northface Hot Shot bag I use for school kicks ass. Sister lives down in SF and works at northface so she got it for 45 though it's 90 reg price. Idk if it's what you're looking for but I reccomend it. But I say check out the Northface line of bags anywhom.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5005971_v1_m56577569830584826.jpg
5005970_v1_m56577569830584746.jpg
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1172176822204 http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1172176822205 Intended for laptops...

Calden

Reaction score
I just ordered a custom bag from Reload. The wait is 5 weeks but it's worth it. It's the bag of choice for a lot messengers. Check out http://reloadbags.com/bags/executive.php. If you order a custom bag, you have a million options like the size, color, thread color, custom embroidery, etc.

stylemonkey

Reaction score
I'd go with the Cargo that goes with that sleeve from SFbags.com. I've got it in the "lead" color--it's sylish enough to be cool and subdued enough for meetings. If you get the sleeve and the cargo together, they give you a discount and a free pouch for your cables, etc. I chose the paragliding buckle and it's the best buckle I've ever seen on any bag or luggage. These guys are serious about quality. The price is a bit higher than the low-end stuff, but I've had mine for over two years and it still looks practically new. Feels like it will last forever. I'd rather pay for a decent bag than have to get a new one every six months...

Good luck.

Cargo "mambo combo"

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a North Face Digital backpack that I love, it has been with me literally all over the world. It is durable, comfortable and pretty subdued looking.

Definitely use a backpack if you're going be carrying heavy stuff, any chiropractor will tell you that it is much better for your back. I alternate between the backpack and a messenger bag, depending on how much stuff I need to carry.

Also, I really don't get the point of a sling, it has the aesthetics of a backpack and the comfort of a messenger, in other words the worst of both worlds.

afaludi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemonkey
Where'd you get it?
Thats the J crew waxed bag, I got the same one and use it hardcore. Its not padded at all so i wrap a towel around the computer. Other than that its a great bag.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I should repeat what I said in the other thread in case anyone misses it: it was a fairly good bag back when they made them out of a waxed midweight canvas. Some time last summer, they switched to a really, really lightweight flimsy fabric that I would not feel comfortable using to carry anything. I have three of the original version (don't ask) and have been using one for the last ten months or so. It ages really well.

stylemonkey

Reaction score
If you're looking for something that's not flimsy, I'd definitely go with the Waterfield (SFbags.com) bag. The material they use is what was once used in bulletproof vests. They are seriously sturdy and every stitch is perfect. They have several other cools styles that are worth a look if you don't want the messenger/briefcase style.

Cargo
Cozmo
Vertigo

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I feel like I should repeat what I said in the other thread in case anyone misses it: it was a fairly good bag back when they made them out of a waxed midweight canvas. Some time last summer, they switched to a really, really lightweight flimsy fabric that I would not feel comfortable using to carry anything.

I have three of the original version (don't ask) and have been using one for the last ten months or so. It ages really well.

I handled one a few days ago after seeing your post in the other thread. I was confused by the thin canvas, but it felt really nice. Almost as if it had a slight dampness to it. Too large for my uses though. Makes me want to get a waxed jacket.

Do you have to bake yours to redistribute the wax? I know that's what people do with waxed leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads