1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bags for men

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Jun 19, 2004.

1. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

To qualify my response, I have owned and sold a lot of top-end leather goods in the last few years - Swaine, Tanner Krolle, Mulholland Brothers, Goldpfeil, Valextra, Schedoni, Tramontano etc, but I am still by no means a leather expert.

In my amatuer opinion, Mulholland Brothers leather-goods are as good as anything else out there. More rustic-looking than the European brands, cetainly, but that's more of a style issue. Plus, I love their look. I have a Mulholland Brothers wallet (shell cordovan) that is probably the best looking wallet I have ever seen. I highly recommend their stuff.

As for Ghurka, I cannot comment. I've never had any Ghurka items.

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Thanks for the response, Mr. Harris. Ii's useful.

3. Kai

Kai Senior member

When companies finish making their production runs for a season, they have leftover leather. They make stuff out of this "overstock leather." It isn't in quantities to supply all their customers, so they remainder it to discount houses.

4. arced

arced Senior member

Thanks for the response. So does that mean that the leather is of a lesser quality, or is mismatched? I'm assuming that there is some difference.

5. Tom

Tom Senior member

Here's a photo of my Tusting clipper (compare to the above picture of the same bag new). It holds a laptop if you so desire. [​IMG] -Tom

6. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

Tom, is your Clipper in the medium brown ? It looks amazing. I bought a duffel bag from Pickett and found out afterwards it was made by Tusting. I'm pretty satisfied with it. I think I need one of those clipper bags now. Having coordinating luggage'll nice. I hope I can cut the label off the front though, I hate maker's labels on my possessions, even if it is tasteful and subtle. Edited to add: I bought one just now on the interweb and I'm hella excited. I might not be able to fall asleep tonight.

7. Tom

Tom Senior member

My clipper bag color/leather is called "Sundance Floodlight".

8. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior member

Tom, After posting my question I reread the thread and saw you had already stated the colour of your bag. Sorry. I fell asleep thinking of my new Clipper bag last night. Luggage purchases always excite me.

9. stache

stache Senior member

Back to the original poster, I agree with Urbane. Black would be best with that outfit. I have found that if you get a dead simple backpack in black leather or nylon it can work in a lot of situations. I would say try to find the smallest pack available that does not look femenine.

10. DylanAmpa

DylanAmpa New Member

Hi guys!

I hope it's ok that I joined this old discussion. I just wanted to throw in my own two cents!

If you're still looking for options on bags for men, I can recommend a Man-PACK. I use the XL model to carry my laptop and books. I used to use a messenger bag for years after using a backpack. This bag has been really comfortable and it has a masculine design so it's not dorky or feminine. I saw it on an episode of Shark Tank so I just had to get one!

Check it out: http://man-pack.com

Apparently they're working on a leather line and those looked interesting.

11. TradThrifter

TradThrifter Senior member

I don't even bring a bag to work. Just put everything in my pockets. I avoid bags at all costs; It's just something else to worry about.