1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bags for men

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Joe G

Joe G Senior member

I love Powerbooks. I'm on my second now, third if you count my wife's. I replaced my old one on a lark because I saw the 17" "Big Al" in a duty free shop and just had to have it. There was (and is) nothing wrong with my older 15" Titanium. Often, I still carry the Titanium (I keep my mailbox and documents sync'ed between them over the Airport) instead of Big Al because it's slightly narrower and works better on plane tray-tables.

What do I like about them? Well, to start they're much, much lighter than Windows notebooks. Big Al only weighs about as much as a typical Windows notebook with a 14" screen. The thin form-factor also contributes to the ease of carrying, without any loss of rigidity.
    Also, as I wrote earlier I'm allergic (figuratively, at least) to plastic, so my natural bias is towards a metal case over a petrochemical one. OSX is also a wonder. It just never crashes, and it's beautiful to behold. Beautiful too are the Apple-only programs such as iPhoto.

As far as my usage, it is as basic as modern computer usage gets: writing, maintaining and sync'ing contacts between Palm/phone/puter, internet, listening to music, watching DVDs, and storing photos is the extent of what I do on it. Nothing I do ties me down to any platform, allowing aesthetic and design elements to guide my decision.

Peace,

JG

2. Joe G

Joe G Senior member

Is it a current-season (or better yet, standing-collection) piece? Varvatos is hard to find over here (there's a place in Antwerp that carries them, or I could jump across the Channel to Harvey Nichols) so that's why I've probably not seen it.

Peace,

JG

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I myself am going to be making a PowerBook purchase relatively soon, as well as taking advantage of a student-store offer that gives me a $200 rebate on an iPod.

I'm going to be getting the 15" 1.33 GHZ PowerBook, with a RAM upgrade to 512, a HD upgrade to the 80GB 5400 rpm model, and the backlit keyboard update. All this with the 20GB iPod is going to run me $2400 because of student prices. I cannot tell you how excited I have been to get this new toy. I love Macs. Posting about a computer on an internet forum, and I promise, I am not a nerd.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I got it last summer. I got it at Stonestreets in Cambridge MA, and honestly, I've never before or since seen the same bag at any retailer, not even at the NY and LA flagship stores - but as you know, John Varvatos makes a huge number of different models of bags. I kept the tag (kept it just in case I ever wanted a repalcement) and the Style number is: G03C3-77 in colour 204 (dark (pebbled) brown). I would recommend you phoning John Varvatos directly to find out more information. Hoe this helps.

5. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

6. Tom

Tom Senior member

I have had my bag for three years, I have used it for travel, camping, fishing, and as my day to day briefcase. Â It is looking extremely natty now that it is all worn in. Â It is quite simply the best bag I have ever owned. Â And pretty preppy to boot. Go to this website: Tusting Then click on "business" and check out the "clipper" in sundance leather. Â It has a leather shoulder strap too. Â As soon as I get a battery for my e-camera, I will post a picture of its nice worn in patina. -Tom

7. Tom

Tom Senior member

8. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's funny - I pulled up this thread to recommend the Tusting Clipper as well. I have one and I like it very much. I also have one of these from Mulholland Brothers: [​IMG] They call it a 4-bottle wine carrier, although I've never used it for that. Comes with a good shoulder strap. Mulholland also make an excellent anglers bag. In fact all their stuff is good - there are lots of great bag options from them. Tusting Clipper: [​IMG] They look better once they have gotten softer and more beat up. I like Joe's map case idea as well. I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those.

9. Urbane

Urbane Member

I am not sure that it is so much the style of the bag that was so much the problem, but the colour. I would have thought that a black backpack with the outfit that you describe would not have looked so bad. Having said that, I think a messenger bag/satchel in black or tan leather would look best.

10. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

Just bought this up at a camera store in Palo Alto. It is the Billingham "Eventer". It's padded (for cameras) but my laptop fits in it. It comes with various partitions so you can use it for camera gear if you like. I'll use it as a bag with one long padded partiotion for papers, etc. I think it will hold up well. Made of canvas and leather. It also comes in tan or green canvas with the same leather. [​IMG][/IMG]

11. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

Most photographers I know swear by Billingham build quality. I've been planning to get a Hadley Large for a while - house my Contax lenses during weekends, and take my laptop to work during the week. Just keep putting it off - my Lands End canvas bag is holding up pretty well. Another variation on the Billingham theme is Fogg. They seem a little more elegant, but I really don't know anyone who uses them in the field. Palo Alto - would that be Keeble & Shuchat?

12. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Ok, I hate to admit this but there is a man bag out there that: A. Holds all yer crap B. Attracts women C. Makes women think that you are THE man. It's called a diaper bag. Yes my brothers... the diaper bag. When my daughter was around 18 months we started venturing out together into the world with regularity. If you don't have an infant, no big deal - just borrow one from a neighbor who has 6-8 of them. See, I'm a planner. When my darling daughter was 2 we had a summer here with 100 straight days over 100 degrees and most were 110-120. I was a single parent with a munchkin who was willing to let my inability to breastfeed slide as long as I got her out of the house and kept her cool. The salvation? yes folks, the diaper bag. I found we could get an annual membership to the large waterpark down the road and voila - a well packed diaper bag solves every problem. Restaurants, parks, the States of Florida, California and Texas - all were feasible with a well packed diaper bag. Picture the scene: 2:00 PM, temp is hitting 120 at the water aprk and all the 'moms' and I retire to the umbrellas/misters to let the kids nap while we chat. Without fail, everyone starts looking for stuff the kid needs - diapers, 3.7 million SPF sunblock for the redheaded kids, Rubbing alcohol for the clogged ears, baby wipes for 756,234.8 documented reasons, powder, a magazine, CD's, snacks, drinks, change. Yes fellas - I packed a diaper bag that would make an Eagle Scout bow and admit that he was nowhere near prepared. Remember, it doesn't have to be masculine here to win the women and make you feel masculine. i went with a 'borderline bitch' model with Winnie the Pooh and his crew in a nice pink and blue. Think I'm kidding? Brad Pitt could be signing autographs 3 tables away and the hero is the guy who says "allow me" and deftly removes the greenish baby waste with a single wipe and rediapers junior in a single motion. Really want to turn on the charm for an especially hot poolside babe? Throw a quick frenchbraid into her daughters hair WITHOUT waking her while discussing fashion. Now the kicker - casually mention an hour later that you are straight and then play 'collect the phone numbers'. Trust me fellas - Kid is optional, learn to pack a fluffy pink diaper bag and there is not a woman alive who will not think you are the coolest man around. Check www.rentacutebaby.com if you need a prop but it really isn't required. One good diaper bag filled with essentials and the world is yours.

13. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Barbour does make some nice bags. http://www.saddler.co.uk/acatalog/Barbour_Bags.html And good choice on the bag you bought. It looks like a take on the classic angler bag. How big is it? I got my Tusting on ebay for cheap so I'm not complaining, but ideally I probably would have bought a canvas/leather version that is a bit smaller.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Hunting World also makes a fine bag.

I personally use a YSL, Ferragamo, and a Bally. The Bally is for travel since it has the ability to lock.

15. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

With regard to small leather goods, such as wallets, how would you compare Mulholland quality (leather and handwork) to the British makers such as Swaine Adeney and Papworth? How about Ghurka? Where is Ghurka made now? Still made in the U.S? I see Mulholland and Ghurka goods on Ebay frequently, at great prices, but rarely see the British makers.

16. Kai

Kai Senior member

If you like the Tusting line, you should know that they are very often available at reasonable prices at www.sierratradingpost.com

17. Kai

Kai Senior member

Chuck, you ARE the man.

I carried the soft green model with the Disney Babies on it, until we discovered the amazing Kelty diaper bag.

18. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

I'm amazed that some men manage without a messenger bag or a bag of some sorts. Between documents for work, water, wallet (I hate the look and feel of anything in my pockets), 3 building ID access cards, and other random items, I don't know how I'd lug it all around without a bag.

Check out Bottega Veneta. They have some very nice bags.

I second the Mulholland Bros recommendation also. Bric's makes some decent bags as well, but I don't know if they have messenger bags. LongChamp and Lambertson Truex also make some very nice bags, although Lambertson carries a lot of the man totes, which some men will shy away from.

19. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

I did get it at Keeble & Shuchat, couldn't find it in stock anywhere else. It holds a standard laptop (I have a Dell Precision). External Dimensions:W 15 " x D 7" X H 12" Weight: 3.7 lbs. It does resemble an anglers bag. I have an old Barbour that's similar in design. I did think this Tusting bag on Sierra Trading was tempting[​IMG]http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...qx/product.htm), but it's not padded for a laptop. Some other great non-laptop bags are by Il Bisonte and Ghurka: My Webpage. The Ghurka products used to be made on the East Coast (like Coach). Don't know if the production has been shipped off to India or China (like Coach). Mulholland is OK. British leather quality is excellent. Billingham, Swaine, Papworth, (and Filson) all use bridle hide which wears very well. I have an old Peal & Co. document case that is seemingly indestructible. Bridle hide wallets are also great. The leather gets better looking with time.

20. arced

arced Senior member

What does 'overstock leather' mean? I went to Sierra Trading post to check out the Tusting bags and the description mentions that they're made from 'overstock leather'. Does anyone have an explanation?