• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bags for Men

alexpham

Reaction score
Is it ok for a man to carry a sophisticated leather bag such as the ones from Prada and Louis Vuitton below? Or is just a tad too similar to a woman's purse?

m.jpg

00190m.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The concept isn't too feminine but rather impractical - the lower one especially, for everyday use. But people would assume you were off to the golf club or bowling alley and not really challenge your manhood. Men should have their hands free of such burdens IMO.

Metal Circus

Reaction score
What would you put in it?
And from my experience in carrying fairly lightweight sports duffels (running shoes, shirts, spikes), carrying a bag just in your hands without a shoulder strap isn't a whole-day solution.

EDIT: Added more thoughts.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always have on my person three pairs of glasses, two checkbooks, my car key with the bulky door opener, my office keys, my home keys, a pocket knife, a coin purse, business cards and a few photos, and, yes, I do like to carry man's clutch bag--a "murse" if you want to be smarty. The one I currently have is made by Coach. I don't really know how I would function without something like that.

alexpham

Reaction score
I oftentimes use a messenger bag and was looking for an alternative to that. I hate stuff my pockets with things like wallets, iPods, keys, and books.
tounge.gif

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several leather bags satchels. I love the bags, i just got to the point where I said, "man why am I carrying all this stuff around for?
Leather /canvas weekend bag by Filson in Seattle, indestructable.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
East German military surplus map bag. Love it. 10.00 from thrift shop in town
smile.gif

Doc Martin

Reaction score
I have my fiancee carry all my stuff in her bag. The second bag looks like it could be used for a money hand-off or suicide bomb.
smile.gif

CoryB

Reaction score
I like the first bag, but it is impractical to actually carry something like that around for the day. I was just looking at bags and I think a smaller, messenger bag or briefcase is a far better option.

I also second the notion of what could you need to carry around that would require such a large bag. Even with a wallet, iPod, keys, glasses, etc. I can't see the need for that massive of bag.

WN2

Reaction score
My rule of thumb is: if your pockets are not enough, you are carrying too much stuff with you.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WN2
My rule of thumb is: if your pockets are not enough, you are carrying too much stuff with you.

For my part, I try to put the bare minimum in my pockets. If you're wearing soft tailoring, even a RAZR will bulge. It all goes in my briefcase, or a very small, discrete satchel.

summej2

Reaction score
I always have on my person three pairs of glasses, two checkbooks, my car key with the bulky door opener, my office keys, my home keys, a pocket knife, a coin purse, business cards and a few photos, and, yes, I do like to carry man's clutch bag--a "murse" if you want to be smarty. The one I currently have is made by Coach. I don't really know how I would function without something like that.
I agree. While I am never without a clutch-type "man bag," the bags in those photos seem far too large. The whole point of a bag is to unencumber (sp?). A clutch that can hang from my wrist when I need both hands does that. A big bag like those wouldn't.

I suppose that's the trend with all purses these days, however. The Hermes Birkins women are carrying around are not really purses, they are saddle bags. Perhaps such things are better suited to use as diaper bags... Of course, come to think of it, babies are something of a status symbol among celebrity types these days too.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
The Hermes Birkins women are carrying around are not really purses, they are saddle bags.

Many women are following the lead of Jane Birkin(the purses namesake) and ditching the Birkin Bag. It seems that having such a big bag tempts women to put everything but the kitchen sink in them and some are developing tendinitis in their arms.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics