Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bags for Men

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alexpham, May 8, 2006.

1. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

Is it ok for a man to carry a sophisticated leather bag such as the ones from Prada and Louis Vuitton below? Or is just a tad too similar to a woman's purse?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The concept isn't too feminine but rather impractical - the lower one especially, for everyday use. But people would assume you were off to the golf club or bowling alley and not really challenge your manhood. Men should have their hands free of such burdens IMO.

3. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

What would you put in it?
    And from my experience in carrying fairly lightweight sports duffels (running shoes, shirts, spikes), carrying a bag just in your hands without a shoulder strap isn't a whole-day solution.

EDIT: Added more thoughts.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I always have on my person three pairs of glasses, two checkbooks, my car key with the bulky door opener, my office keys, my home keys, a pocket knife, a coin purse, business cards and a few photos, and, yes, I do like to carry man's clutch bag--a "murse" if you want to be smarty. The one I currently have is made by Coach. I don't really know how I would function without something like that.

5. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

I oftentimes use a messenger bag and was looking for an alternative to that. I hate stuff my pockets with things like wallets, iPods, keys, and books. [​IMG]

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

A cool briefcase is smarter.

7. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I have several leather bags satchels. I love the bags, i just got to the point where I said, "man why am I carrying all this stuff around for?
    Leather /canvas weekend bag by Filson in Seattle, indestructable.

8. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

East German military surplus map bag. Love it. 10.00 from thrift shop in town [​IMG]

9. Doc Martin

Doc Martin Well-Known Member

I have my fiancee carry all my stuff in her bag. The second bag looks like it could be used for a money hand-off or suicide bomb. [​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Those bags look like they are more suited for travel, as a carry-on.

11. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

I like the first bag, but it is impractical to actually carry something like that around for the day. I was just looking at bags and I think a smaller, messenger bag or briefcase is a far better option.

I also second the notion of what could you need to carry around that would require such a large bag. Even with a wallet, iPod, keys, glasses, etc. I can't see the need for that massive of bag.

12. WN2

WN2 Senior member

My rule of thumb is: if your pockets are not enough, you are carrying too much stuff with you.

13. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

My rule of thumb is: if your pockets are not enough, you are carrying too much stuff with you.

For my part, I try to put the bare minimum in my pockets. If you're wearing soft tailoring, even a RAZR will bulge. It all goes in my briefcase, or a very small, discrete satchel.

14. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I agree. While I am never without a clutch-type "man bag," the bags in those photos seem far too large. The whole point of a bag is to unencumber (sp?). A clutch that can hang from my wrist when I need both hands does that. A big bag like those wouldn't.

I suppose that's the trend with all purses these days, however. The Hermes Birkins women are carrying around are not really purses, they are saddle bags. Perhaps such things are better suited to use as diaper bags... Of course, come to think of it, babies are something of a status symbol among celebrity types these days too.

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

The Hermes Birkins women are carrying around are not really purses, they are saddle bags.

Many women are following the lead of Jane Birkin(the purses namesake) and ditching the Birkin Bag. It seems that having such a big bag tempts women to put everything but the kitchen sink in them and some are developing tendinitis in their arms.