Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Bags/Briefcases with suede lining

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by cics, Mar 30, 2016.

1. cics

cics Member

Hi folks,

I've recently bought an handbag for my lady with a leather (suede) lining inside. I've felt it very soft and damn elegant.

I've noticed my two briefcases and my laptop all have different lining: usually cotton or silk... and I cannot find find any briefcase or laptop bag with this type of lining... I've also searched on the internet but nothing!

Do you know any brand to suggest (if any...)?

And in general what do you prefer and why? fabric lining or suede?

2. Petepan

Petepan Distinguished Member

Serapian. Bally. St Dupont. Moynat. Maybe Pratesi, not sure. Or you can just bespoke order.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016

3. denning

denning Distinguished Member

Bill Amberg

4. cics

cics Member

Thank you guys. Wow, I've checked Serapian briefcase, it's so classy... but a bit out of my budget :(

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

What is your budget? It's much easier to give suggestions with a price range in mind, or at least a celing price. BTW, I may move this to "menswear advice" shortly.

6. WhereNext

WhereNext Senior Member

I co-sign this wholeheartedly. Lots of bags lined with different colored suedes, they make custom if you want to go that route, and the bags are beautiful overall. I have the Rocket Bag with a purple suede lining which is fantastic.

7. cics

cics Member

Unfortunately not too high. I would say 5-600 dollars. I've found some Serapian breifcases on Lyst at 600$. Do you know that website? Can I trust it?

I've also checked Bill Ambergs's briefacses, I struggled to find a website selling them... I didn't like those few I've found though.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016

8. Tommaso

Tommaso New Member

9. cics

cics Member

Thanks Tommaso. My gf has a handbag with suede lining, although is not used as extensively as a briefcase, seems really durable to me. Why do you think it's not?

10. Bellafonte27

Bellafonte27 Active Member

I would second getting a fabric lining instead of suede. As anyone with suede shoes would know, suede could be persnickety in terms of maintenance. I guess it depends on what you plan to carry in your bag, but if it gets wet, there's a chance that the leather could be irreversibly damaged. If this bag were to be a second bag for more formal/business occasions, I figure that it would be fine. However, for day-to-day usage, it might not be ideal. Personally, if I had this bag, I would take extra care to make sure that the suede lining isn't damaged so it would always be on the back of my mind.

11. cics

cics Member

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bellafonte. I was thinking of asking an artisan to create some bags for me. That could be cheaper than buying them from Serapian!
    And in terms of durability and "care" I was thinking of maybe 2 variations?
    The first one is more formal/business made with veg tanned leather and suede lining, the second one is to be used everyday with chrome tanned leather, that is more water repellent, and fabric lining. Could it be a good combo?

Or, as an alternative, I could use alcantara with chrome or veg tanned leather as the maintenance would be easier.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016

12. Bellafonte27

Bellafonte27 Active Member

Yeah I think that could work. You could also choose to get a briefcase made out of bridle leather. It's very resilient and is low maintenance. You could check out Saddleback leather for some examples. They're a little more rugged than some of the options that you're looking at, but they would give you more peace of mind for regular everyday use.

13. cics

cics Member

I'll check it out. Thanks Bellafonte!