• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bag Causing Stains on Pants

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear gentlemen,

I have a beautiful leather attache case from Italy that I use frequently when I am going to work; however, after months of determining what it was that constantly caused marks to appear on my pants, I have determined that it is my bag rubbing on my pants that is causing it. When I ceased using my bag for a few months, I had no marks, and now that I am using it again, the marks are back. The only other marks I've had are from times where I have failed to keep fresh shoe polish from getting onto my clothing, but that is not a consistent problem unless I am negligent.

What can I do to stop this?

I have cleaned my bag multiple times and it doesn't seem to stop the bag from having this problem.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wrap your bag in a matching pair of pants.

I feel like that would be anthromorphizing my bag.

I'm not comfortable making my bag into my slave. That seems like I'd get protested hard in the current environment.

No, but seriously: What stuff can I put on my bag so it won't leave stains on my clothes?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, but seriously: What stuff can I put on my bag so it won't leave stains on my clothes?

Buy a better bag. Then use that bag to carry your current bag.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is wearing jeans, so the stains look like "character", or altering the finish of the bag.

I have a leather belt that seems raw on the inner end, and added a nice patina to my light wash jeans over the past couple years.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hang your bag at the end of a stick, like a bindle

unnamed.jpg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would this actually work?
There's a guy on here that swears by putting it all over his feet before going sockless in loafers, and he's never complained of foot stains...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This comedy routine is top notch, but seriously:

Anything I can do to the bag to avoid this problem? It doesn't appear to be dirt.

I don't know. If I had to guess, I assume your bag is made from crust leather. Some Italian companies use crust leather because

1) they can sell customers on the whole "artisanal" craftsmanship thing

2) they are often smaller workshops when compared to Chinese companies, and thus benefit from having some flexbility. If you have a huge stock of crust leather you can color them however you wish depending on the orders that come in. So instead of buy 100 hides in black and 200 hides in brown (and hoping you sell exactly this number), you can buy 300 hides in crust leather and color them however you need.

If I had to guess, I assume the color rubbing off onto your clothes are the coloring agents/ dyes that were used to color the bag. I assume you can either seal up the surface, which will probably look ugly. Or you can strip the color off, which will also look ugly.

But I don't know for sure if that's crust leather. Just my assumption from what you described.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it isn't dirt, and it isn't polish, then the tanning colours are probably to blame.

I'd either replace the bag, or only use it with clothes that you don't mind staining. If it is one with a shoulder strap, consider carrying it by the handle instead.

Otherwise, on a stick should work, but you really ought to wear a hat in that case...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads