• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Badger Hair Brush

smartie_addict

Reaction score
Without ordering one, I don't know how they look/feel in real life. I bought a brush for 5 dollars US just to give shaving that way a try and liked it so i continued. I know that it cannot be badger hair. What might it be?
I inherited a brush from my grandfather and it seems to be similar in fiber but I wonder if the non-badger hair ones feel similar?
Sorry if I'm being cryptic..I guess I'm simply wondering (a) how you can tell if a brush is badger hair and (b) What the other (cheaper) bristles may be made of and how they compare to badger (so, c, i guess)

Thanks in advance

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheaper bristles tend to be a bit more "pokey" and don't hold the warm water quite as well as the more expensive bristles. I don't know what kind of bristles a $5 brush would be made from. Perhaps pig or horse or plastic.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
highly recommend you save for a silver-tip badger brush from Art of Shaving. I really like their products-- altho overpriced, they really work well for me. I have the black handled silvertip brush, and I truly expect it to last me a good number of years. I wash it a couple of times a week with cheap shampoo, and it still looks and works like the day I bought it.

Drew

Reaction score
I have been looking at eShave sets on and off for a while, but I haven't been able to take the plunge yet. I admittedly know only as much as what eShave's site says about badger hair, but would love to have a shaving set from them. Anyone have experience with eShave products?

petescolari

Reaction score
I have only had experience with the eshave shaving cream. They have been selling it in Neiman Marcus for about a year and a half. Prior to using it, I liked Kiehl's, but it would always jam up my mach III razor. Eshave is really light but lathers vey well.

I too have been looking at their shaving sets but fall into the uneducated consumer when it comes to badger. From what I can tell, a good badger brush appears to be an good investment if you take care of it.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Art of shaving may rebadge the products from the wonderful Taylor of Old Bond Street (actually on Jermyn St), which are reasonably priced for what they are and are excellent, excellent quality. Once or twice a year there are 50% sales. www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk My silvertip is from there; I liked it so much I bought a travel version too. Use with real shaving cream or shaving soap of course... Much better than anything else I've tried including edge, etc.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheaper bristles tend to be a bit more "pokey" and don't hold the warm water quite as well as the more expensive bristles.  I don't know what kind of bristles a $5 brush would be made from.  Perhaps pig or horse or plastic.
I've also found that whatever the lowest grade of badger (silver tip?) doesn't hold water or allow one to shave very well.  Unfortunately, my Truefitt & Hill travel brush is composed of this lower-grade badger.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also Kent Shaving Brushes (These are as good as Trumpers and maybe they even make them for Trumper, et al.) may be obtained at a reasonable cost (even with unfavorable exchange rate) and you can get 20% off your order using the check-out code GBK1777.

$5 is simple to little to pay for a good quality brush and therefore you probably haven't gotten a satisfactory experience with it.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also Kent Shaving Brushes (These are as good as Trumpers and maybe they even make them for Trumper, et al.) may be obtained at a reasonable cost (even with unfavorable exchange rate) and you can get 20% off your order using the check-out code GBK1777.
Horace,

I tried this code with Kent several weeks ago and it didn't work. Either I didn't use it correctly or it has expired. If you're counting on getting the discount, the transaction goes through anyway without it.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Horace @ Mar. 12 2005,02:26) Also Kent Shaving Brushes (These are as good as Trumpers and maybe they even make them for Trumper, et al.) may be obtained at a reasonable cost (even with unfavorable exchange rate) and you can get 20% off your order using the check-out code GBK1777.
Horace, I tried this code with Kent several weeks ago and it didn't work. Either I didn't use it correctly or it has expired. If you're counting on getting the discount, the transaction goes through anyway without it.
It doesn't immediately tally up. Did you check your invoice -- that's where they figure it. If they've discontinued, sorry about bunk info. I've been using it forever, and it's always worked. surprised by this.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Silvertip is one of the best qualities of brush, also known as Super Badger or Best Badger. (Yes, conjures up images of a masked caped badger.) The cheapest brushes are either synthetic or "bristle", which I _think_ is boar's hair. Ow. The very best hiar is something called High Mountain Badger (don't ask me), but it is very, very, very expensive (~ $400) and I believe only made by a Freedom (French) firm called Plisson.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads