1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Badger Hair Brush

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by smartie_addict, Feb 12, 2005.

1. smartie_addict

smartie_addict Active Member

Without ordering one, I don't know how they look/feel in real life. I bought a brush for 5 dollars US just to give shaving that way a try and liked it so i continued. I know that it cannot be badger hair. What might it be?
    I inherited a brush from my grandfather and it seems to be similar in fiber but I wonder if the non-badger hair ones feel similar?
    Sorry if I'm being cryptic..I guess I'm simply wondering (a) how you can tell if a brush is badger hair and (b) What the other (cheaper) bristles may be made of and how they compare to badger (so, c, i guess)

Thanks in advance

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

Cheaper bristles tend to be a bit more "pokey" and don't hold the warm water quite as well as the more expensive bristles. I don't know what kind of bristles a $5 brush would be made from. Perhaps pig or horse or plastic.

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

highly recommend you save for a silver-tip badger brush from Art of Shaving. I really like their products-- altho overpriced, they really work well for me. I have the black handled silvertip brush, and I truly expect it to last me a good number of years. I wash it a couple of times a week with cheap shampoo, and it still looks and works like the day I bought it.

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I have been looking at eShave sets on and off for a while, but I haven't been able to take the plunge yet. I admittedly know only as much as what eShave's site says about badger hair, but would love to have a shaving set from them. Anyone have experience with eShave products?

5. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

I have only had experience with the eshave shaving cream. They have been selling it in Neiman Marcus for about a year and a half. Prior to using it, I liked Kiehl's, but it would always jam up my mach III razor. Eshave is really light but lathers vey well.

I too have been looking at their shaving sets but fall into the uneducated consumer when it comes to badger. From what I can tell, a good badger brush appears to be an good investment if you take care of it.

6. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Art of shaving may rebadge the products from the wonderful Taylor of Old Bond Street (actually on Jermyn St), which are reasonably priced for what they are and are excellent, excellent quality. Once or twice a year there are 50% sales. www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk My silvertip is from there; I liked it so much I bought a travel version too. Use with real shaving cream or shaving soap of course... Much better than anything else I've tried including edge, etc.

7. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

8. Horace

Horace Senior member

I've also found that whatever the lowest grade of badger (silver tip?) doesn't hold water or allow one to shave very well.  Unfortunately, my Truefitt & Hill travel brush is composed of this lower-grade badger.

9. Horace

Horace Senior member

Also Kent Shaving Brushes (These are as good as Trumpers and maybe they even make them for Trumper, et al.) may be obtained at a reasonable cost (even with unfavorable exchange rate) and you can get 20% off your order using the check-out code GBK1777.

$5 is simple to little to pay for a good quality brush and therefore you probably haven't gotten a satisfactory experience with it.

10. mrprlover

mrprlover Senior member

For $5 it was perhaps beaver?

11. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Horace,

I tried this code with Kent several weeks ago and it didn't work. Either I didn't use it correctly or it has expired. If you're counting on getting the discount, the transaction goes through anyway without it.

12. Horace

Horace Senior member

(Horace @ Mar. 12 2005,02:26) Also Kent Shaving Brushes (These are as good as Trumpers and maybe they even make them for Trumper, et al.) may be obtained at a reasonable cost (even with unfavorable exchange rate) and you can get 20% off your order using the check-out code GBK1777.
    Horace, I tried this code with Kent several weeks ago and it didn't work. Either I didn't use it correctly or it has expired. If you're counting on getting the discount, the transaction goes through anyway without it.
    It doesn't immediately tally up. Did you check your invoice -- that's where they figure it. If they've discontinued, sorry about bunk info. I've been using it forever, and it's always worked. surprised by this.

13. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Member

14. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

I think the cheaper brushes tend to be boar's hair.

15. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Silvertip is one of the best qualities of brush, also known as Super Badger or Best Badger. (Yes, conjures up images of a masked caped badger.) The cheapest brushes are either synthetic or "bristle", which I _think_ is boar's hair. Ow. The very best hiar is something called High Mountain Badger (don't ask me), but it is very, very, very expensive (~ $400) and I believe only made by a Freedom (French) firm called Plisson.

16. Horace

Horace Senior member

I thought there were three versions of badger hair commonly used in shaving brushes? Thought I read this in a Trumpers book they sent me years ago (pre-internet) when I used to have stuff sent from their shop in London. Also used to have Floris (pre NYC store) kit sent over (ah...the good old self-indulgent days)....