• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad Polish Job

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the shoe experts here could weigh in on what I consider to be a recent shoe shine disaster. I was in the mood for shirking work so I ran across to the shine guy at the subway stop by my office. He polished the hell out of a pair of relatively new Bally's that I can only describe as being a rather 'dull' or 'natural' black. This flatter, or non-glossy look was the way they looked when I bought them and I quite liked it, subdued and fitting given their narrow toe.

Anyway I'm not paying attention and 10 minutes later I look down and I've got on a pair of tap shoes. My fault as I didn't specify that I wanted them cleaned and polished, not shined, but I'm wondering what would take that shiny, gloss look off? Hard work and elbow grease?

And while I realize that I'm a relative newcomer here, yet to prove my weight and really just asking questions, not answering, I do have a pair of old favourites coming back from a complete B.Nelson recraft tomorrow and will post pics and the results.

tom153

Reaction score
Maybe cut it down with some water too. Just make sure that the rag is not dripping wet; just damp as if you were cleaning them with a leather cleaner before conditioning.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next time ask for a matte shine.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mmm, I was hoping this would be about Poland.

sf_esq

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me with a brand new pair of shoes several years ago. Let's just say that I wasn't happy when I looked down and could see my reflection on my previously matte shoes. Lesson learned. Better to just do it yourself, honestly. Good luck getting that shine out. I would suggest you take them to a shoe repair place to see if they can do it without drying them out or ruining them.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
polish and shoe shine are the same thing.

just take a little rubbing alcohol to a cotton ball or rag and buff off the shine.

really with the alcohol, nuff? I'd be weary advising someone with not much experience to put this stuff on their shoes. I wouldn't even do - i'd be too scared.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
really with the alcohol, nuff? I'd be weary advising someone with not much experience to put this stuff on their shoes. I wouldn't even do - i'd be too scared.

id take your shoes in a second and apply rubbing alcohol to strip any polish with no hesitation and with high confidence. and i know you are bigger than me and can kick my butt, but im that confident it won't ruin your shoes.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saphir Renomat would do the job I think.

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
Its sounding like my best bet is to go see the pros, I'm too much of an amateur to take a risk! Thanks for all the advice. Its much appreciated.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that a layer of Obenauf's LP knocks a shine down without really stripping anything off the shoe.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
I had very good results with La Cordonnerie Anglaise neutral cream - stripes all wax and cream without damaging the original color! It has a "petroleum" smell, so probably is based on petroleum gel. If not lighter fluid or turpentine (turpentine is the solvent on good waxes, like Saphir MdO), Renomat will do also the job.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I usually polish my shoes with the blood of the unbeliever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads