• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bad News for anyone who wants some Japanese Repos

weirdnjfan1

Reaction score
I was just over on the other SF and it seems that Levi's is pretty pissed at the people who make Japanese Repos. This is straight from Kiya, who runs Self Edge in San Fran.

Originally Posted by Kiya
here goes..
it's been a long few days, so i'm basically going to spit out the facts:

-Levi's is suing your two favorite denim stores in America, along with Studio D'Artisan, Iron Heart, Toyo/Sugarcane, Oni (BS United), and Samurai.

-Everybody is being sued for trademark infringment

-All sales of the above mentioned brands are to be stopped by Friday, January 19, 2007 WORLDWIDE

-US and Japanese Customs are in on this, no jeans made by the above brands are to be sent out of Japan starting two days ago (January 15) to stores OR consumers. you've been warned, don't attempt to order your jeans via a bidding service or have a friend send them to you

-The offending points are as follows: 1. There are to be NO tabs attatched between to pieces of fabric on the rear pockets, 2. The cards hanging out of the back pocket, stapled to the pocket, must not look anything like vintage/modern Levi's Info Cards, 3. Arcuates on the rear pockets must not resemble the Levi's arcuate in ANY way shape or form, 4. Rear leather patch cannot contain an image of two moving objects (horses, motorcylcles, pigs, etc..) pulling apart a pair of jeans

-All product with any of the above mentioned accents must be pulled from the shelves of every store in the world by Friday, January 19

-I've spoken to most of the manufacturers named in the lawsuit in Japan already and they are quickly working on producing jeans with either NO back pocket stitching or stitching that is greatly different than the Levi's Arcuate. We are looking at a four week period where there will be very low stock of denim from these companies

-There are four more companies they're going after, i cannot name those at this time.

-This is one of the most comprehensive and largest lawsuits Levi's has filed against Japanese denim manufacturers

-I have two words for everybody "Denim Speakeasy"

a few quick updates:
-this was a court order, NOT ceast and desist.
-Levi's is winning this, there's no doubt about it
-This lawsuit has been many months in the works, maybe even before any of the aformentioned stores opened

It's a sad day in the world of denim.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why anyone would want Levi's branding on his ass, anyway. Especially after this.

alsback

Reaction score
well its their faults for copying levi's designs...it sux but just think if you were the ceo/president of levi jeans, you would be doing the exact same thing.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#@Q$Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to get a pair of SDA105 eventually with the pigs!

Bastards.

ghostdeini

Reaction score
oh well, i'm really interested to see what these companies will come up with as a replacement... luckily my planned return to tokyo will be in june so that gives them plenty of time to redesign and get the shelves restocked

Max

Reaction score
Can't say you didn't see this coming. The trademark infringement was pretty obvious.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I'm most concerned with what this might do to stores like Blue in Green and Self Edge. I can't imagine they're making tons of money, and this has to be cutting deep into their pockets. I'm okay with no red tab, new arcuates, etc (actually, I sort of prefer it), but it'd be horrible if BiG was to go under because of this, for example.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly kind of glad for this. I despise Levi's and its business practices, and hopefully this will put an end to the glorification of an iconography that arguably never existed in history and a company that never deserved it.

If the Japanese are making Starbucks repros in 40 years, I will probably have to stab the world to death.

savage

Reaction score
sooo... are these going on super sale here in the states??

Blue in Green & Self Edge??

anyone think these will be collectible, since these brands will most likely have to change??

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I'm most concerned with what this might do to stores like Blue in Green and Self Edge. I can't imagine they're making tons of money, and this has to be cutting deep into their pockets. I'm okay with no red tab, new arcuates, etc (actually, I sort of prefer it), but it'd be horrible if BiG was to go under because of this, for example.
Yeah, that does concern me. Hopefully BiG and SE aren't going to be hit too hard, but it's possible (and even likely, knowing how they work) that Levi's will try and kill them outright. Also hopefully, I am wrong.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
better cop now, like all of em.....
plain.gif

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Perhaps Levi's should also take note that there is a market for jeans above $35 dollars.

Stop making dodgy, badly conceived and poorly executed sub-groups attempting to cash in on edginess!

Stop making crap for Wal Mart shopping Fat *****!

Just stop being a giant Corporate Looser that on any given day is being out designed by everyone!

That company should be devoid of any ego, The Japanese had the good sense to replicate product from a time when Levi's had morals and they actually stood true to their statements about quality. Levi's can't compete for the same demographic as Samurai and Sugar Cane!, do Levi's actualy think these companies are stealing business?, they should be flattered that these small companies are what keeps the Levi's brand relivent.

Man!, greedy giant corporate ass holes!, I hate that ****, **** them and their contemporary shitiness!.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

I agree. I am especially miffed that they are going after the retailers, like they are the ones that designed the stuff. These are not counterfeit products, after all.
Is Steve Jobs on the Levi's board of directors or something?

Ott

Reaction score
frown.gif
totally ridiculous. I can understand Levi's wanting to protect their intellectual property, but all the companies listed have completely different designs than the original. These two things really pissed me off:
There are to be NO tabs attatched between to pieces of fabric on the rear pockets
Rear leather patch cannot contain an image of two moving objects (horses, motorcylcles, pigs, etc..) pulling apart a pair of jeans
plain.gif
how the hell can a company hold exclusive rights to put a piece of fabric on the rear pockets of jeans
Originally Posted by Rye GB
P Levi's can't compete for the same demographic as Samurai and Sugar Cane!, do Levi's actualy think these companies are stealing business?
er, well this isn't true. The LVC line probably would be competing with sugarcane if sugarcane was readily available.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahem...

Well, a little birdie told me that Selfedge is still shipping up to the end of tonight... Just be sure that you know what you want (brands, sizes, etc...), because they are pretty inundated with customers. Just FYI.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads