1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Language.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by LabelKing, Sep 15, 2008.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

Without using expletives, what do you say when you hammer your thumb?

Heaven's to Betsy!

Goodness Gracious!!

Oh for Heaven's Sake!!!

naaah...just kidding.
    i just say "AWWWWW SH*T!!!!!"

2. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Jesus titty-fucking christ! There are some faggy douchetards up in this bitch.

3. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jesus titty-fucking christ! There are some faggy douchetards up in this bitch.
    Hot damn in a Georgia shithouse, Magician, you are one fuckin' ignorant sonofabitch. See, isn't it fun? P.s. Return my socks, bitch. I know you have them. [​IMG]

4. bach

bach Senior member

^Of course I was being tongue-in-cheek... but come on... swearing can be fun. Why be a prude and say, "Oh my goodness, shucks, dagnabbit, swearing is soooooo bad and only the ill-educated masses say potty-mouth words." Say it with me... "Cocksucker!" (that was Tricky Dick Nixon's favorite.) That wasn't so bad, was it? Now... "shitbag!" See, it can be fun.
    i'm not quite sure what you meant by "linguistically arbitrary" because in the field of linguistics, i'm pretty sure that arbitrariness is defined in the way charles hockett proposed in his list of design features... wtf feels linguistically arbitrary??? it should feel arbitrary if you analyze it, because the vast majority of our lexicon is not iconic. i would say that cultural transmission is the deciding factor in making a word "feel" bad (curse words), rather than arbitrariness. maybe my reading comprehension skills suck today, but i don't understand your post.

5. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

grit my teeth
    squeeze my eyes
    moan

People pay good money for this.

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Hot damn in a Georgia shithouse, Magician, you are one fuckin' ignorant sonofabitch. See, isn't it fun? P.s. Return my socks, bitch. I know you have them. [​IMG]
    I hope you know i use faggy only in the most loving sense. When you take in to account the fact that I am a performing magician who likes old french movies, designer clothing and hair product I'm gayer then some homosexuals I know. Also I completely unintentionally used fierce to describe someone in a conversation the other day. hmmmm...

7. rach2jlc

i'm not quite sure what you meant by "linguistically arbitrary" because in the field of linguistics, i'm pretty sure that arbitrariness is defined in the way charles hockett proposed in his list of design features... wtf feels linguistically arbitrary??? it should feel arbitrary if you analyze it, because the vast majority of our lexicon is not iconic. i would say that cultural transmission is the deciding factor in making a word "feel" bad (curse words), rather than arbitrariness. maybe my reading comprehension skills suck today, but i don't understand your post.
    Wohhohoho there fella. You're taking a post that was a joking throw off (and I thought it was pretty obvious) and getting all Lacan on me. It was a joke... joke... joke, just meant to have a bit of fun. You are absolutely correct in taking issue with "linguistic arbitrariness." I should have been more careful with my use of terms... but again, it was a throw-off post and I wasn't really thinking "critically." Bad words may be simple sounds with heavy cultural transmissions... but yes, that wouldn't make them arbitrary. So, fuck you and shit in a two-handled bucket, asshole. (haha j/k of course)
    I hope you know i use faggy only in the most loving sense. When you take in to account the fact that I am a performing magician who likes old french movies, designer clothing and hair product I'm gayer then some homosexuals I know. Also I completely unintentionally used fierce to describe someone in a conversation the other day. hmmmm...
    Only one solution, Magic-man... as using "fierce" is about as gay as saying somebody is "the living end," the only way to save face is to use your magic skills to reverse time, catch yourself just at the point of using aforementioned word, and shoot yourself in the fucking head. I'm not kidding about the socks. Seriously [​IMG]

8. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Khmer swear words are hilarious when you hear the English translations. Sometimes I'm like "Mom, you know what you just said, in Yankee?"

9. rach2jlc

Khmer swear words are hilarious when you hear the English translations. Sometimes I'm like "Mom, you know what you just said, in Yankee?"

Evidence or STFU. [​IMG]

10. bach

bach Senior member

So, really, I didn't and don't want to get into a linguistic debate. I should have been more careful with my use of terms... but again, it was a throw-off post and I wasn't really thinking "critically." So, fuck you and shit in a two-handled bucket, asshole.
    [​IMG] i just felt like kicking some ass with my ~3 weeks of linguistics class [​IMG]

11. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Evidence or STFU. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't even attempt to spell these words using the English alphabet. One translation would be "Your mothers ass" which is like the equivalent of motherfucker. The word for prostitute is actually two, and translates as such: "Drunk woman." [​IMG]

But when a Cambodian gets really angry, its more about putting curses and hexes on you than anything else. Imagine having the spirit of Ravana coming down on you in all his demonic glory.

12. rach2jlc

[​IMG] i just felt like kicking some ass with my ~3 weeks of linguistics class [​IMG]
    Well, you're doing very well, m'friend. Your initially post PWNING me is both hilarious and embarassing... because not only were you correct in taking me to task about the nature of arbitrariness... but a big part of my job involves comparative linguistics... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Even as a joking "throw off"... how embarassing!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Imagine having the spirit of Ravana coming down on you in all his demonic glory.
    I think I had a student try this on me, once, but I just threw the deck of "Magic" cards back in his face and he backed down.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

You are all mother-licking cunts.